Poolish, plain croissant dough, red croissant dough, pink guava jam and cream cheese filling by Carlos Enriquez of Superba Food + Bread in Venice, CA.
Yield: 55-60 3-oz croissants
- 7 oz/200 g high extraction wheat flour
- 9.17 oz/260 g water
- 0.1 oz/3 g active dry yeast
Mix flour, water and yeast in a bowl with a whisk until smooth and no lumps of flour are present. Place in a plastic container with a tight lid large enough for the poolish to grow three times its size. Place in refrigerator overnight.
Plain Croissant Dough:
- 14 oz/400 g Poolish
- 7 oz/200 g water
- 17.6 oz/500 g organic whole milk
- 60.49 oz/1715 g high extraction wheat flour
- 9.7 oz/275 g granulated sugar
- 1.3 oz/38 g kosher salt
- 1 oz/30 g active dry yeast
- 3 oz/85 g 82% high fat unsalted butter
- 2.2 lb/1 kg Isigny A.O.P. butter sheet
1. Put all ingredients except butter sheet in spiral mixer and mix on low speed for 10 minutes. Take out of mixer, flatten and place in blast freezer for 1 hour to prevent proofing/fermentation.
2. Place in cooler overnight.
3. Once dough has rested, begin the lamination process: Envelop butter-sheet-fold-turn-sheet-fold-refrigerate for 1 hour.
4. Sheet-fold-refrigerate for 1 hour.
5. Sheet-fold-refrigerate for a minimum of 6 hours.
Red Croissant Dough:
- 3.5 oz/100 g Poolish
- 1.76 oz/50 g water
- 7 oz/200 g organic whole milk
- 0.14 oz/4 g red powdered food coloring
- 0.07 oz/2 g freeze-dried yogurt powder
- 15.13 oz/429 g high-gluten flour
- 2.4 oz/69 g granulated sugar
- 0.33 oz/9.5 g kosher salt
- 0.26 oz/7.5 g active dry yeast
- 0.75 oz/21.25 g 82% high-fat unsalted butter
1. Put all ingredients (wet/dry/butter) in spiral mixer, mix on low speed for 10 minutes. Take out of mixer, flatten and place in blast freezer for 1 hour to prevent proofing/fermentation.
2. Place in cooler overnight.
3. Sheet dough to a paper thin thickness and place over the laminated croissant book above. Once ready to shape, sheet red-plain croissant book to desired thickness and shape croissants to desired size. (We cut our croissant to weigh 3.5 oz/100 g.) Refrigerate croissants until ready to proof, egg wash and bake.
Pink Guava Jam:
- 17.6 oz/500 g frozen pink guava puree, defrosted in cooler overnight
- 1.9 oz/55 g granulated sugar mixed with 0.5 oz/14 g apple pectin
- 17.6 oz/500 g granulated sugar
- 3.5 oz/100 g glucose syrup
- 0.5 oz/15 g citric acid solution (citric acid solution is made of equal quantities of acid and water)
Place the puree in a stainless steel pan and bring to the boil. Slowly, sprinkle in the pectin and sugar mixture. Heat gently, stirring constantly until mixture comes to the boil. Add the granulated sugar and glucose. Cook to 217-219°F (103-104°C) or 73°C Brix. Add the citric acid solution. Pour guava jam in a hotel pan, cover and refrigerate until needed.
Cream Cheese Filling:
- 17.6 oz/500 g Philadelphia cream cheese
- 5.3 oz/150 g confectioners’ sugar
- 2 vanilla beans
- Finely grated zest of 2 oranges
- Finely grated zest of 2 lemons
Place all ingredients in mixer and mix with paddle attachment until smooth and creamy. Store in airtight container in refrigerator until needed.
Once croissants are baked and cooled, stuff with the guava jam and cream cheese filling. Enjoy on a cool summer day along the beach in Venice.