Lemon cream, raspberry-strawberry basil gel, lemon sponge cake, meringue, sablé craquant and basil gel by Pierre Poulin, Pastry Chef of Aureole in New York, NY.
Yield: 6 servings
- 3.5 oz/100 g granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 3 large eggs
- 3.7 oz/106 g lemon juice
- 9.9 oz/282 g cold unsalted butter, diced
1. Combine sugar, cornstarch, eggs and lemon juice in a bowl over a double boiler. Whisk from time to time until thickened. Remove from heat and add butter. Blend with an immersion blender until smooth. Let rest in refrigerator overnight.
2. Place in piping bag when ready to assemble dessert.
Raspberry-Strawberry Basil Gel:
- 3 Tbs raspberry purée
- 3 Tbs strawberry purée
- 4 bunches basil, chopped
- Pinch of xanthan gum
1. Combine the purees and bring to a boil. Add the basil and allow to steep for 30 minutes. Strain the mixture and cool.
2. Using a blender, blend in xanthan gum to thicken. Pour into a Flexipan Half Sphere mold (1” diameter) and freeze.
Lemon Sponge Cake:
- 3.5 oz/99 g all-purpose flour
- 3 oz/87 g granulated sugar
- Pinch of baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 3.3 oz/94 g vegetable oil
- 3.7 oz/106 g buttermilk
- ½ egg
Combine all dry ingredients and lemon zest in a bowl. Add wet ingredients. Spread onto a buttered baking try to about 1 cm thick and bake at 350°F until golden brown, about 20 – 25 minutes.
- 3 large egg whites
- 2.6 oz/75 g granulated sugar
Whip the egg whites and sugar over a double boiler until warm. Once warm, remove from heat and whip until firm peaks form. Place in piping bag.
NOTE: Make this once you are assembling the final dessert.
- 4 oz/113 g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 oz/32 g confectioner’s sugar
- 1 oz/32 g almond flour
- ½ large egg
- 2.3 oz/66 g all-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
Combine all ingredients in a mixer with a paddle until just combined. Store in an airtight container overnight in refrigerate to harden. Once hardened, place between parchment paper and, with a rolling pin, roll until ½ cm thick and let rest in refrigerator.
- 3 Tbs granulated sugar
- 6 Tbs water
- Pinch of agar agar powder
- 1 bunch blanched basil leaves
1. Boil sugar and water to make a light syrup. Add agar powder and cook for 3 minutes. Cool in refrigerator.
2. Using a blender, blend the syrup and basil until smooth and shiny. Set aside in a pastry bag.
1. In a Flexipan Half Sphere mold (6 cm diameter), pipe a bit of lemon cream to the bottom of the mold. Place the frozen Raspberry-Strawberry Basil Gel on top and pipe lemon cream to the rim. Smooth with a spatula.
2. Cut out a 6 cm diameter circle of the Lemon Sponge Cake and place onto the Lemon Cream. Freeze.
3. Once frozen, pop out of the molds and place on a flat surface, flat side down. Make the meringue and pipe around the frozen lemon half-sphere and torch with a flame immediately. Let cool in refrigerator.
4. Create crescent moon-shapes of the Sablé Craquant using a tip of a knife. Bake at 325°F for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
5. Cool and decorate by sprinkling confectioner’s sugar and piping small dots of Basil Gel.
6. Place meringue on a serving plate with the Sablé Craquant around it. Serve with strawberry sorbet, if desired.