Anna Shovers' dessert featuring birch and beer sabayon, poached/grilled peaches, sweet cream ice cream and tart dough.
Yield: 8 servings
Birch and Beer Sabayon:
- 10.5 oz/300 g lambic (Belgian style sour ale)
- 4.6 oz/130 g granulated sugar
- 0.03 oz/1 g xanthan gum
- 7 oz/196 g egg yolks
- 40 drops (about 2 droppers full) birch extract (available through www.terraspice.com)
1. Bring a pot of water to a simmer
2. In a bowl, whisk together the beer, sugar and xanthan gum
3. Whisk in the yolks, place over the pot of water and whisk constantly until the temperature reaches 180-185°F. Immediately chill, while still whisking, in a bowl of ice water.
4. Once chilled, add the extract. Whisk before use and discard at the end of service.
- 4 ripe peaches
- 3.5 oz/100 g bourbon
- 3.5 oz/100 g Grand Marnier
- 3.5 oz/100 g peach liqueur
- 10.5 oz/300 g water
- 7 oz/200 g brown sugar
- 7 oz/200 g granulated sugar
- Pinch nutmeg, grated from whole nutmeg
- Zest of 1 orange
- 2 vanilla beans, scraped
- Pinch of salt
1. Halve the peaches, take out the pits (leave the skins on).
2. Bring the alcohols, water, sugars, salt and aromatics to a simmer. Add the halved peaches and poach until you can almost cut them with a spoon. Then strain and chill the remaining liquid.
3. Grill the peaches on a wood-fired grill until nice grill marks form (wood-fired will give a nicer, smoky flavor). Take off the heat and cool. Slice into ¼” slices. Then place these flat into a Cryovac bag. Add some leftover poaching liquid and then vacuum-seal. Store chilled.
Sweet Cream Ice Cream:
- 10.5 oz/300 g whole milk
- 2.46 oz/70 g heavy cream
- 3.3 oz/95 g glucose syrup
- 4.6 oz/130 g granulated sugar
- 2.1 oz/60 g milk powder
- 1/3 tsp kosher salt
- 16.2 oz/460 g cream cheese, cubed
1. Place the milk, cream and glucose syrup in a pot.
2. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, milk powder and salt together and then whisk this mixture into the milk base. Add the cream cheese, whisking well to combine. Bring to a simmer, whisking frequently as this base can easily burn. Once it comes to a simmer, remove from the heat. Blend, strain and then chill.
3. Spin in an ice cream machine and then freeze.
- 13.4 oz/380 g all purpose flour
- 4.2 oz/120 g 10x confectioners’ sugar
- 0.1 oz/3 g kosher salt
- 9.17 oz/260 g cold or frozen butter, cubed
- 2 egg yolks
1. Pulse the flour, confectioners’ sugar and salt together in a food processor. Toss in the butter and mix to coat with the flour mixture. Pulse the butter until it forms pea-sized clumps. Add the yolks. Pulse until almost fully combined. Then finish mixing by hand until the dry ingredients have disappeared into the mix. Chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.
2. Roll out the dough to a thickness of 1/8”. Cut into approximately 3-1/2” rounds and then line tart rings measuring 2-3/4” each. Dock and then chill again. Bake at 325°F until golden brown.
- 3 fresh peaches, sliced per order, to contrast with the grilled peaches
- Sprigs of tarragon and Thai basil
- Citrus marigolds or other edible yellow/orange flowers, as available
Ladle sabayon into wide bowls. Place a tart shell into the bowl. Then nestle sliced fresh peaches with the sliced grilled peaches. Place a scoop of the ice cream on top. Garnish as desired.