Jimmy MacMillan's dessert featuring pâte à choux, passion fruit crémeux, chocolate gelato, coconut gelato, cocoa marshmallows, coconut chantilly and mango sauce.
Pâte à Choux:
- 11.3 oz/320 g water
- 11.3 oz/320 g milk
- 0.35 oz/10 g granulated sugar
- 0.35 oz/10 g salt
- 10.5 oz/300 g unsalted butter
- 12.7 oz/360 g all-purpose flour
- 20 oz/565 g whole eggs, room temperature
1. In a large pot, combine water, milk, sugar, salt and butter and bring to a boil. Add all the flour at once and stir over heat until it forms a ball. Lower the heat and let the dough dry out a bit or until it starts sticking at the bottom of the pan. Transfer mixture into a mixing bowl fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix at low speed for a minute to release all the steam before gradually adding the eggs. Mixture will look shiny, yellow and thick. Immediately pipe rounds onto parchment lined sheet pan using a medium sized plain piping tip, (approx 1” diameter rounds). Bake at 410°F until it is golden brown all over. Lower the temperature to 350°F and let the pâte à choux dry on the inside. Let cool to room temperature. Keep frozen until ready to fill with Passion Fruit Crémeux (see recipe below).
Passion Fruit Crémeux:
- 10.5 oz/300 g passion fruit purée
- 10.5 oz/300 g heavy cream 35%
- 4.2 oz/120 g egg yolks
- 2.1 oz/60 g granulated sugar
- 0.21 oz/6 g gelatin sheets, silver
- 15.5 oz/440 g Obsession chocolate, melted
1. Bring the passion fruit puree and cream to a boil and then temper in combined egg yolks and sugar. Cook until the mixture coats the back of a spoon and reaches 183-185°F/84-85°C.
2. Soak and drain the gelatin and then add to the hot, strained custard. Add this to the melted chocolate (as for a ganache) and emulsify. Load into piping bag warm; chill to set. Fill Pate à Choux puffs; freeze.
- 0.03 oz/1 g granulated sugar
- 0.17 oz/5 g ice cream stabilizer
- 24.7 oz/700 g whole milk
- 1.3 oz/36 g fondant
- 2.2 oz/63 g glucose syrup
- 0.44 oz/12.5 g invert sugar
- 3.5 oz/100 g Temptation 64% dark chocolate
1. Combine granulated sugar and stabilizer.
2. In large saucepan warm milk; dissolve all sugars in milk. Bring to 185°F/85°C. Pour over chocolate a little at a time and whisk smooth. Chill with ice wand. Process in ice cream machine. Fill into plastic piping bag. Reserve for molding.
- 20.3 oz/575 g whole milk
- 14.1 oz/400 g coconut purée
- 2.1 oz/60 g 0% milk powder
- 5.3 oz/150 g unsalted butter 83%
- 1.58 oz/45 g egg yolks
- 5.3 oz/150 g granulated sugar
- 2.1 oz/60 g glucose
- 0.21 oz/6 g ice cream stabilizer
- 0.35 oz/10 g vanilla bean paste
Warm all ingredients to 185°F/85°C (NOTE: This can also be poached sous vide.) Chill; blend well. Process in batch freezer; load into piping bag; reserve for molding.
- 31.7 oz/900 g granulated sugar
- 1 oz/30 g glucose
- Seeds of 1 vanilla bean
- 24.7 oz/700 g water, divided
- 2.8 oz/80 g gelatin sheets
- 4.2 oz/120 g egg whites
- 1.2 oz/35 g Velvet cocoa powder
- 0.17 oz/5 g vanilla extract
1. Combine sugar, glucose, vanilla bean seeds and 12.3 oz/350 g water until it reaches 258°F/126°C.
2. Meanwhile, bloom the gelatin sheets in the remaining 12.3 oz/350 g water. Drain off excess water once it has softened. Melt in the microwave and set aside.
3. Whip the whites; when frothy gradually add the sugar syrup. Add the melted gelatin and whip on high speed until triple in volume but still warm. Add cocoa powder and vanilla extract. Pour immediately over prepared half sheet pan. Chill to set. Cut into 1” squares.
- 7.7 oz/220 g heavy cream 40%
- 7.7 oz/220 g mascarpone
- 1.76 oz/50 g Noix de Coco
Combine all ingredients in stand mixer. Whip to medium peaks. Bag with plain tip; reserve.
- 10.5 oz/300 g granulated sugar
- 0.14 oz/4 g agar agar
- 17.6 oz/500 g mango purée
1. Combine sugar and agar well. Whisk into mango puree. Bring to boil; pour onto tray. Chill.
2. Blend; store in squeeze bottle.
- Micro lemon grass
- Egyptian star flowers
1. Working with a 2 1/2" two-part sphere mold, pipe some chocolate gelato (approximately 30% of the mold). Press in one frozen pâte à choux puff filled with Passion Fruit Cremeux. Cover with top of mold and pipe in Coconut Gelato to fill remaining space in mold. Freeze solid.
2. Cut spheres into quarters. Plate 3 pieces in bowel or divet of plate. Pipe 4 dollops of Coconut Chantilly around cut choux gelato spheres. Caramelize 3 marshmallows with a torch, place on top of Coconut Chantilly. Add 3 drops of Mango Sauce, micro lemon grass and Egyptian star flowers. Serve immediately.