JMPurePastry's dessert featuring preserved Meyer lemons, five spiced jackfruit and coconut foam.
Yield: 30 servings
Milk Chocolate Crème Caramel Base:
- 16.5 oz/470 g whole milk
- 16.5 oz/470 g heavy cream 40%
- 8 oz/226 g granulated sugar
- 10 whole eggs
- 20 oz/567 g milk chocolate
- 0.88 oz/25 g coconut powder
- 0.35 oz/10 g lemon rappé
- 0.21 oz/6 g vanilla extract
- 0.21 oz/6 g salt
- Granulated sugar, for lining molds
1. Combine room temperature milk, heavy cream, sucrose and whole eggs on mixer with whip attachment. Strain well.
2. Melt milk chocolate to 95°F (35°C).
3. Over double boiler, warm the crème caramel base and dissolve coconut powder, lemon rappé, vanilla and salt. Add melted chocolate and whisk together.
4. Caramelize some sugar using dry method, enough to line the bottom of thirty 2.75” round molds. When sugar reaches 320°F, stop cooking by shocking in room temperature water. Pour ¼” of caramelized sucrose into bottom of molds. Pour finished crème caramel base about 1.25” above the caramelized layer. Bake at 200°, no water bath, until set, about 40 minutes.
5. Freeze; unmold and remove excess caramelized layer. Chill at 40°F for service.
Preserved Meyer Lemon with Spices:
- 5 Meyer lemons, thinly sliced
- 3 whole cloves
- 6 coriander seeds
- 4 Tellicherry peppercorns
- 1 star anise
- 2 oz/56 g salt
- 2 oz/56 g granulated sugar
- 1 Ceylon cinnamon stick
Place sliced Meyer lemons in a bowl and toss with all spices except cinnamon stick. Place in bottom of small container along with the cinnamon stick. Add several layers of cheesecloth and weigh down. Chill for 1 to 3 days.
Five Spice Sauteed Jackfruit:
- 10.5 oz/300 g jackfruit
- 1.76 oz/50 g unsalted butter
- 1 oz/30 g Demerara sugar
- 0.17 oz/5 g five spice blend
1. Clean fresh jackfruit by removing center core and seed from fruit. Cut into julienne slices.
2. In saute pan, melt together butter, sugar and spice blend. Add jackfruit and saute until most of the water has evaporated and the fruit is tender. Reserve at room temperature for plating.
- 8.8 oz/250 g coconut puree
- 8.8 oz/250 g water
- 8.8 oz/250 g granulated sugar
- 0.17 oz/5 g Versa Whip 600K
- 1.4 oz/40 g vanilla extract
- 0.03 oz/1 g xanthan gum
Combine all ingredients in a stand mixer with whip attachment and whip on high speed to full volume. Re-whip as needed for plating.
- 8.8 oz/250 g heavy cream 35%
- 8.8 oz/250 g whole milk
- 0.07 oz/2 g five spice powder
- 3.17 oz/90 g pasteurized egg yolks
- 1.9 oz/55 g granulated sugar
- 9.7 oz/275 g milk chocolate, melted
1. Combine the cream, milk and five spice powder in small saucepan; scald.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar.
3. Slowly combine the egg yolk mixture with the dairy. Do not reduce.
4. Pour custard over melted chocolate; whisk together.
5. Fill a plastic piping bag with the whisked mixture. Chill to set.
Place crème caramel in a glass dish. Pipe 3 dollops of Chocolate Cream on top. Top with 3 slices of preserved lemon. Spoon a generous amount of jackfruit on each side of the crème caramel. Add coconut foam to cover back and sides of dessert..