JMPurePastry's dessert featuring warming spices and sugar cookie gelato.
Yield: 24 servings
Spiced ‘Fudge’ Ganache:
- 12.17 oz/345 g granulated sugar
- 4.2 oz/120 g unsalted butter, melted
- 24 oz/680 g heavy cream 35%
- 1.7 oz/48 g liquid glucose
- 12.5 oz/355 g milk chocolate 35%
- 0.07 oz/2 g ground ginger
1. In medium-size saucepan, dry caramelize the sugar; deglaze with butter to make caramel. Simultaneously, add glucose and spices to heavy cream and scald. Add to caramel and combine well. Strain and pour over melted milk chocolate at 95°F (35°C). Stir to form emulsion.
2. Using auto funnel, add ¼” layer in bottom of individual round savarin molds. Freeze to set.
- 17.2 oz/490 g almond flour, toasted
- 10.9 oz/310 g confectioners’ sugar 10X
- 1.4 oz/40 g cornstarch
- 0.14 oz/4 g pasilla chili powder
- 1 oz/30 g cocoa powder
- 21.16 oz/600 g pasteurized egg whites, room temperature
- 2.8 oz/80 g invert sugar
- 7 oz/200 g brown butter, cooled slightly
- 7.7 oz/220 g dark chocolate 64%
1. In stand mixer, combine almond flour, confectioners’ sugar, cornstarch, pasilla chili and cocoa powder. Add egg whites, then invert sugar and mix on low speed 1-2 minutes. Add brown butter (cooled to 104°F/40°C), and mix until well combined; scrape sides.
2. Fold in melted chocolate (95°F/35°C) and scrape batter into sheet pan. Bake at 335°F for 12-15 minutes. Cool, and then freeze.
3. Cut into circles exact diameter of savarin mold. Reserve frozen until assembly.
- 23.1 oz/655 g heavy cream 35%
- 2 Tahitian vanilla beans, split and scraped
- 4 star anise
- 11.28 oz/320 g dark chocolate, melted
- 1.26 oz/36 g invert sugar
- 0.28 oz/8 g gelatin sheets (silver)
1. Heat cream with star anise and vanilla to infuse. Strain.
2. Add invert sugar and dissolve. Scald and add bloomed gelatin to melt. Pour over melted chocolate at 95°F (35°C). Combine well and strain. Cast over frozen spiced fudge ganache layer, leaving room for chocolate sponge. Let rest at room temperature until partially set.
3. Place cut round of chocolate sponge on top, pressing down to make sure cake seals with crema layer. Freeze.
4. Un-mold frozen. Keep chilled for service.
- 8.8 oz/250 g blackberry puree
- 0.88 oz/25 g Key lime juice
- 1.76 oz/50 g granulated sugar
- 0.14 oz/4 g yellow pectin
- 0.03 oz/1 g freshly grated nutmeg
1. Combine blackberry puree and Key lime juice in a small saucepan. Strain liquids and add more juice/puree to equal 2.2 lb/1 kg.
2. Combine sugar and pectin. Add to puree mixture and whisk well. Add nutmeg. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, whisking as needed to prevent burning. Pour into small plastic container; cool. Load into squeeze bottle, reserve for service.
Chocolate ‘Rope’ Garnish:
- 8.8 oz/250 g dark chocolate 58%
1. Freeze 3 sheet pans.
2. Temper the dark chocolate. Pipe five 8” lines of chocolate, connected across the shorter side of the frozen sheet pan. While setting, but still flexible, twirl the chocolate into a round ‘lasso’ shape. Set aside to crystallize.
Caramelized White Chocolate:
- 7.4 oz/212 g white chocolate
Melt chocolate in shallow hotel pan at 220°F, stirring occasionally until white chocolate turns light brown and develops a nutty flavor and aroma.
Sugar Cookie Gelato:
- 2.2 lb/1 kg gelato base*, slightly warmed
- 7.4 oz/212 g Caramelized White Chocolate (above)
*Note: use preferred neutral white mix gelato base
Melt Caramelized White Chocolate to 95°F (35°C). Add to slightly warmed gelato base. Process in batch freezer according to manufacturer’s directions.
Place one completed layered savarin in center of plate. Add Blackberry Sauce around base of savarin and in divet. Place ‘lasso’ garnish on top and add viola to front of dessert. Finish with small scoop of Sugar Cookie Gelato.