"Angela Pinkerton, Pastry Chef, Craftsman & Wolves in San Francisco, CA, shares her Grapefruit Poppy Seed Cake recipe in the DessertProfessional.com Dessert Trio column."
In DessertProfessional.com's latest issue, the Dessert Trio column features three different dessert perspectives on grapefruit, from three top pastry chefs, François Payard, Michael Laiskonis and Angela Pinkerton. Click the following to see recipes and notes by:
François Payard | Michael Laiskonis
Notes: This is a play on the ‘classic’ lemon poppy seed muffin. Ruby red grapefruits are one of the earliest citrus fruits to come into season, so I like to get a jump on the citrus season with fun and different ways of showing off how delicate and versatile they are.
Yield: 12 servings
- 8 oz/225 g all-purpose flour
- 8 oz/225 g almond flour
- 8 oz/225 g granulated sugar
- 0.45 oz/13 g salt
- 8 oz/225 g unsalted butter, cubed and cold
- Zest of 4 oranges
- 0.21 oz/6 g Maldon salt
1. Combine flours, sugar and regular salt. Add butter and zest and mix with paddle until crumbly, adding Maldon salt at the end to make sure it’s evenly mixed into the crumble. Transfer to a sheet pan and refrigerate until cold.
2. Bake at 325°F until lightly golden brown. Cool.
- 21.16 oz/600 g kumquats
- 4.4 lb/2 kg simple syrup
Cut kumquats in half and deseed. Cut in half again. Place kumquats and simple syrup in a Cryovac bag and seal. Steam at 194°F (90°C) for 2 hours, or until translucent. Cool and drain well.
Grapefruit Poppy Seed Quick Bread:
- 14 oz/400 g all-purpose flour
- 21.16 oz/600 g cake flour
- 1.2 oz/34 g baking powder
- 0.21 oz/6 g salt
- 0.14 oz/4 g orange zest
- 0.14 oz/4 g Ruby Red grapefruit zest
- 10.5 oz/298 g Ruby Red grapefruit juice
- 8.25 oz/234 g orange juice
- 17.4 oz/494 g canola oil
- 15 oz/426 g eggs
- 0.5 oz/15 g Angostura bitters
- 18.2 oz/516 g granulated sugar
- 0.9 oz/26 g poppy seeds
- 15.4 oz/438 g Baked Crumble
- 11.6 oz/330 g Candied Kumquats
1. Sift together the flours, baking powder and salt.
2. Combine the citrus zest and juice, oil, eggs, bitters and sugar until well combined. Gradually add the dry ingredients at low speed, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Very gently fold in the poppy seeds, Baked Crumble and Candied Kumquats by hand just before scooping the batter into 12 prepped mini loaf pans. Bake at 350°F for 25 to 30 minutes.
Demi Sec Grapefruit:
- 15 Ruby Red grapefruit
- 3.5 oz/100 g confectioners’ sugar
Peel grapefruit and cut out segments. Drain grapefruit segments, then lay them on parchment that has been lightly sprayed with cooking spray. Dust segments with confectioners’ sugar and place in dehydrator at 200 – 250°F for 8 hours, flipping the segments halfway through. Grapefruit will be dry and chewy. Roughly chop.
- 1.2 oz/35 g Ruby Red grapefruit juice
- 8 oz/225 g confectioners’ sugar
Combine juice and sugar until smooth. Cover glaze until ready to use.
Slice the top of the baked mini loaf off so that it’s flat, and invert. Toss some of the remaining crumble pieces in glaze and set aside to harden. Glaze the very top of the loaf, which was formerly the bottom, with Grapefruit Glaze. Decorate with glazed and unglazed pieces of crumble and dehydrated grapefruit. Finish with Maldon salt and poppy seeds.