"Michael Laiskonis, Creative Director, Institute of Culinary Education in New York, NY, shares his Grapefruit-Campari Pâte de Fruit recipe in the DessertProfessional.com Dessert Trio column."
In DessertProfessional.com's latest issue, the Dessert Trio column features three different dessert perspectives on grapefruit, from three top pastry chefs, François Payard, Michael Laiskonis and Angela Pinkerton. Click the following to see recipes and notes by:
François Payard | Angela Pinkerton
Notes: In the depths of winter, when spring and summer fruits seem a distant dream, grapefruit is often my go-to. Its bitter-sweet-tart flavor complements a host of other ingredients, but I love paring it with herbal notes like basil and tarragon, and in this case I capitalize on the classic pairing with Campari to create a cocktail-inspired pâte de fruit.
Grapefruit Pâte de Fruit:
- 13.2 oz/375 g grapefruit juice
- 4.4 oz/125 g lime juice
- 24.7 oz/700 g granulated sugar, divided
- 0.5 oz/14 g yellow pectin
- 2.9 oz/83 g glucose powder
- 0.14 oz/4 g citric acid
1. In a large, heavy saucepan, heat the grapefruit and lime juices to 104°F (40˚C).
2. Combine 1.76 oz/50 g of the sugar with the pectin and whisk into purée. Bring to a boil, stirring continuously. Add remaining 22.9 oz/650 g sugar and the glucose. Cook to 223°F (106˚C). Remove from heat and stir in citric acid.
3. Pour into a Silpat-lined frame (or Flexipan forms) and set at room temperature.
Campari Pâte de Fruit:
- 225 g lemon juice
- 5.3 oz/150 g Campari
- 15 oz/425 g granulated sugar, divided
- 0.35 oz/10 g yellow pectin
- 2.6 oz/75 g glucose powder
- 0.26 oz/7.5 g citric acid
- Granulated sugar for coating
1. In a large, heavy saucepan, heat the lemon juice and Campari to 104˚F (40°C).
2. Combine 1.76 oz/50 g of the sugar and the pectin and whisk into purée. Bring to a boil, stirring continuously.
3. Add remaining 13.2 oz/375 g sugar and the glucose. Cook to 223˚F (106°C). Remove from heat and stir in citric acid.
4. Pour into a Silpat-lined frame (or Flexipan forms) and set at room temperature.
5. Remove frames and place the Grapefruit Pate de Fruit on top of the Campari flavor. Coat with granulated sugar and cut into squares.