"François Payard, Owner, François Payard Bakery & François Payard Patisserie in New York and Las Vegas, shares his Warm Ricotta Tart With Citrus-Mint Salad recipe in the DessertProfessional.com Dessert Trio column."
In DessertProfessional.com's latest issue, the Dessert Trio column features three different dessert perspectives on grapefruit, from three top pastry chefs, François Payard, Michael Laiskonis and Angela Pinkerton. Click the following to see recipes and notes by:
Michael Laiskonis | Angela Pinkerton
Notes: I blend marcapone with fresh, creamy ricotta and honey which in turn, creates a cheesecake consistency. Atop the tart is a fresh salad made from grapefruit and blood orange segments, white pepper and chopped mint, tossed in a light vinaigrette.
Yield: 8 servings
- 10.5 oz/300 g unsalted butter
- 0.5 oz/15 g confectioners’ sugar (10X)
- 3 large eggs
- 17.6 oz/500 g all-purpose flour
- 3.5 oz/100 g almond flour
- Pinch of salt
1. Place the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and mix on medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add the eggs and mix until blended. Add the flour, almond flour and salt and mix at low speed until combined.
2. Spread the dough in a sheet pan, cover, and chill for at least 2 hours.
3. Pass dough through sheeter and line 3-inch tart molds with dough. Bake for about 12 minutes in a 375°F oven, or until fully baked and golden.
- 4 pink grapefruit
- 6 blood oranges
- 10 fresh mint leaves, cut into thin slivers
- 1 Tbs white balsamic vinegar
- 3 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
- A few turns of fresh ground white pepper
Using a sharp knife, cut the peel off the top and bottom of each grapefruit and orange so that it stands up without wobbling. Cutting from top to bottom, remove the peel from each fruit, exposing the flesh. Make a cut on each side of each segment to free it from the fruit. Continue until all the segments are removed. Set aside 8 grapefruit segments and 16 orange segments for the tarts. Combine the remaining segments in a medium bowl with the mint, vinegar, olive oil and white pepper and stir gently just to combine. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- 12.3 oz/350 g fresh soft ricotta cheese
- 3.5 oz/100 g mascarpone cheese
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbs honey
1. Preheat the oven to 250°F. Arrange the tart shells on a half-sheet pan and place one of the reserved grapefruit segments and two of the orange segments in the bottom of each tart shell.
2. In a medium bowl, stir the ricotta cheese with a rubber spatula until smooth. Add the mascarpone cheese and stir until smooth. Add the egg yolks, egg and honey and whisk until combined. Divide the mixture among the tart shells and bake for about 8 minutes, until the filling is just set.
The tarts should be served warm, so if you need to heat them up, place them in a preheated 250°F oven for about 10 minutes. Place each warm tart on a plate and top with some of the Citrus-Mint Salad. Spoon a drizzle of the liquid from the salad onto the plate.