Coconut chocolate cremeux, corn flake crunch, coconut gelée, purple corn “jus”, purple corn meringue, pineapple chantilly, chicha morada sorbet, poached pineapple and isomalt purple corn pieces by Joel Gonzalez, Executive Pastry Chef of JW Marriott Desert Ridge in Phoenix, AZ.
Yield: 15 servings
Coconut Chocolate Cremeux:
- 17.6 oz/500 g coconut milk
- 5.3 oz/150 g 72% chocolate
- 0.1 oz/3 g agar agar
- 3.5 oz/100 g agave nectar
In saucepan, heat coconut milk, agave and agar agar together and cook for about 3 minutes. Pour over chocolate and emulsify. Allow to set.
Corn Flake Crunch:
- 5.3 oz/150 g Corn Flakes
- 3.5 oz/100 g 64% chocolate
- 2.6 oz/75 g praline paste
1. Crush Corn Flakes until they form crumbs.
2. Melt chocolate with praline paste. Mix in cereal and roll out between 2 sheets of parchment paper. Cut into 2” discs.
- 15.8 oz/450 g coconut purée
- 0.88 oz/25 g granulated sugar
- 2 sheets gelatin, bloomed
1. Heat 25% of the coconut purée with the sugar until sugar is dissolved. Add bloomed gelatin and remaining coconut purée. Pour into shallow container and allow to set in refrigerator.
2. Cut into 1” triangles.
Purple Corn “Jus”:
- 1 lb/454 g dried Peruvian purple corn
- 2.2 lb/1 kg water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 cloves
- Zest of 1 orange
- 8.8 oz/250 g granulated sugar
Place all ingredients in a pot and simmer for 30 minutes. Strain.
Purple Corn Meringue:
- 3.5 oz/100 g Purple Corn “Jus” (above)
- 0.35 oz/10 g egg white powder
- 3.5 oz/granulated sugar
Place all ingredients in a mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and whip for 5 minutes. Pipe out in 3” long sticks on silicone baking mat-lined sheet pan and bake at 170°F until dry.
- 10.5 oz/300 g heavy cream
- 3.5 oz/100 g white chocolate
- 1.76 oz/50 g pineapple puree
1. Heat cream and pour over chocolate. Emulsify and chill overnight.
2. Add pineapple puree and whip to stiff peaks.
Chicha Morada Sorbet:
- 2.2 lb/1 kg Purple Corn “Jus” (recipe above)
- 5.3 oz/150 g simple syrup, chilled
- 1.76 oz/50 g invert sugar
- Juice of 1 orange
Combine everything in bowl and mix until blended. Process in ice cream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- 17.6 oz/500 g Purple Corn “Jus” (recipe above)
- 1 pineapple, peeled and sliced
1. Bring Purple Corn “Jus” to a boil. Add pineapple slices and poach for 30 minutes.
2. Cool pineapple in the jus.
Isomalt Purple Corn Pieces:
- Silicone mold material
- 1 dry corn
- 17.6 oz/500 g Isomalt
- Purple food coloring
1. Create a mold of the corn using the silicone.
2. Cook Isomalt with 1.76 oz/50 g water to 338°F (170°C). Add purple coloring and pour into corn mold. Allow to set, then break into abstract pieces.
- Chocolate décor ovals
Cut a 7” x ½” strip of cremeux and place it on a plate. Top with a disc of the Corn Flake Crunch. Place a triangle of Coconut Gelée on top of the crunch. Set an oval chocolate décor piece on top and arrange a quenelle of the Pineapple Chantilly on it. Place two Purple Corn Meringue sticks on top of the Chantilly. Cut pieces of the poached pineapple and place on both ends of plate. Add some broken meringue pieces and place two mini scoops of sorbet on them. Finish with chocolate décor and Isomalt Purple Corn Pieces.