Geranium- pineapple caramel mou by Tyler Atwell, Executive Pastry Chef of Boulud Sud/Bar Boulud in New York, NY.
This recipe is for an element that is part of a large showpiece. Chefs competing in CRPC 4: Episode 4 were required to create 2 confections: a creative caramel and/or nougat and a unique chocolate bonbon. To see the recipe for the other element of this showpiece, go to:
Fig and Mastic Bonbons
Yield: 60 caramels
- 4.4 oz/125 g granulated sugar
- 3.17 oz/90 g sweetened condensed milk
- 1.76 oz/50 g water
- ¼ vanilla bean, split and scraped
- 3.8 oz/108 g glucose syrup
- 1.76 oz/50 g unsalted butter
- 3 oz/85 g pineapple puree, warmed
- 0.1 oz/3 g geranium water
- 0.04 oz/1.25 g salt
1. In a small saucepot, combine the sugar, sweetened condensed milk, water, and vanilla. Over medium heat, bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Add the glucose syrup and continue cooking to 230°F (110°C). Add the butter and cook to 233°F (112°C). Add the warmed pineapple puree and continue cooking, stirring constantly to avoid burning, to 242°F (117°C). Remove from heat and quickly stir in the geranium water and salt.
2. Fill the molds using a sauce gun. Allow the caramels to cool completely before wrapping individually.