Umami caramels by Evan Sheridan, Executive Pastry Chef of The Umstead Hotel and Spa in Cary, NC.
This recipe is for an element that is part of a large showpiece. Chefs competing in CRPC 4: Episode 4 were required to create 2 confections: a creative caramel and/or nougat and a unique chocolate bonbon. To see the recipe for the other element of this showpiece, go to:
Terroir: Black Truffle and Madeira
Yield: 35 portions
- 9 oz/256 g granulated sugar
- 1.3 oz/38 g glucose
- 5.4 oz/154 g unsalted butter
- 0.03 oz/1 g soy lecithin
- 6 oz/171 g heavy cream
- 0.03 oz/1 g baking soda
- 0.017 oz/0.5 g Madagascar Bourbon vanilla bean, split
- 1 oz/29 g white soy
- 2 oz/57 g yuzu juice
1. Caramelize sugars until light golden brown. Stop the cooking by adding lecithin and butter.
2. Warm cream with baking soda, salt, and vanilla. Add warm cream mixture, white soy, and yuzu juice to caramel. Cook to 248°F (120°C) while stirring. Allow to cool for 30 seconds. Dispense caramel into molds and allow to set.