Soursop soft caramels by Deden Putra, Executive Pastry Chef of The Peninsula in New York, NY.
This recipe is for an element that is part of a large showpiece. Chefs competing in CRPC 4: Episode 4 were required to create 2 confections: a creative caramel and/or nougat and a unique chocolate bonbon. To see the recipe for the other element of this showpiece, go to:
Apricot Cardamom Bonbons
Yield: 45 portions
- 8.8 oz/250 g granulated sugar
- 4.4 oz/125 g glucose
- 5.3 oz/150 g heavy cream, heated
- 1.76 oz/50 g unsalted butter, softened
- 8.8 oz/250 g soursop puree, warmed
- 0.35 oz/10 g sea salt, for garnish
1. Combine sugar and glucose in a saucepan, and make a light caramel at 338°F (170°C). Stop the cooking process by adding hot cream and butter. Cook to 257°F (125°C). Stir in warm soursop puree and bring back to 257°F (125°C). Fill the molds with hot soursop caramel. Let it set for a few hours.
2. Unmold each piece, sprinkle sea salt on each of the caramels, and wrap individually.