Chocolate bread pudding, vanilla ice cream base and vanilla ice cream by Tony Nguyen, Corporate Consultant Chef of House of An in Costa Mesa, CA.
Yield: 16 servings
Chocolate Bread Pudding:
- 14 oz/397 g granulated sugar
- 5 large eggs, beaten
- 17 oz/484 g milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 vanilla beans, split
- 24 liq oz/708 ml French baguette cubes
- 2 oz/54 g packed light brown sugar
- 2 oz/57 g unsalted butter, softened
- 1.5 oz/42 g semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease individual molds.
2. Mix together granulated sugar, eggs and milk in a bowl; add vanilla. Pour over cubed bread and let sit for 10 minutes.
3. In another bowl, mix together brown sugar, butter and chocolate chips. Pour bread mixture into prepared molds. Sprinkle brown sugar mixture over the top and bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until set. Remove from oven.
Vanilla Ice Cream Base:
- 40.9 oz/1160 g heavy cream
- 21.34 oz/605 g whole milk
- Pinch of Maldon salt
- 12 liq oz/355 ml agave syrup
- 6 vanilla beans, scraped
- 12 large pasteurized egg yolks
Mix all ingredients together; cover and set aside in refrigerator.
Vanilla Ice Cream:
- 1 part Vanilla Base (need recipe)
- 3 parts liquid nitrogen
Place ice cream base in a thick-bottomed stainless steel bowl and pour in liquid nitrogen while stirring with a wooden spoon. Add nitrogen slowly until you have achieved the desired consistency for the ice cream. During this process, be sure to wear safety glasses and gloves.
- Chocolate sauce
- Seasonal fruit
Unmold warm pudding onto plate. Place quenelle of ice cream on plate and garnish with chocolate sauce, condensed milk and seasonal fruit.