Executive Pastry Chef Jimmy MacMillan’s dessert featuring yumberry panna cotta, ‘light’ anglaise, strawberry meringues and white chocolate garnish.
Yield: 15 composed desserts
Yumberry Panna Cotta:
(Makes 30 1” hemispheres and 90 ½” hemispheres)
- 0.31 oz/9 g gelatin sheets
- 5.3 oz/150 g organic cane sugar
- 2.1 oz/60 g yumberry powder
- 10.2 oz/290 g heavy cream
- 0.26 oz/7.5 g vanilla paste
- 14.3 oz/406 g buttermilk
1. Bloom gelatin in cold water.
2. Combine sugar and yumberry powder well.
3. Bring heavy cream, sugar, yumberry and vanilla to a slight boil. Remove from heat and whisk in drained gelatin. Whisk until dissolved. Stir in buttermilk. Pour into 30 1” and 90 ½” hemisphere molds and freeze.
- 1.9 oz/55 g granulated sugar
- 4 oz/115 g egg yolks
- 9.17 oz/260 g heavy cream
- 4.58 oz/130 g whole milk
- 2 vanilla beans, scraped
- 0.17 oz/5 g salt
1. Whisk together sugar and egg yolks in a medium sized bowl.
2. In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine heavy cream, milk and vanilla beans. Bring dairy mixture to slight boil on stovetop. Remove from heat and ladle 2 oz of hot dairy into sugar/egg mixture, whisking the entire time. Add 2-3 more 2-oz ladles of dairy until egg yolk mix is close to the temperature of the dairy. Pour egg yolk mixture back into saucepot and whisk well. Strain. Cool over an ice water batch stirring occasionally.
NOTE: for this dessert we are not looking for a thick anglaise, but rather to replicate ‘milk for cereal’. Add additional cold heavy cream if sauce is too thick.
- 6 oz/168 g egg whites
- 14 oz/400 g confectioners’ sugar
- 2.46 oz/70 g cornstarch
- 0.03 oz/1 g salt
- Strawberry powder, as needed
1. In bowl of small stand mixer, combine egg whites, confectioners’ sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Heat over double boiler until sugars are just dissolved. Place on stand mixer with whip attachment and whip on high speed to full volume, light and fluffy.
2. Pipe small meringues on acetate-lined dehydrator tray. Sift fine strawberry powder on top. Dehydrate overnight at 140°F.
White Chocolate Garnish:
- 17.6 oz/500 g white chocolate, tempered
Load paper piping bag with tempered white chocolate. Place an oval stencil over acetate sheet. Pipe in fine diagonal lines across oval in a single direction. Cross the lines by piping diagonally in the other direction. Remove stencil and allow chocolate to crystalize fully before removing from acetate.
- Freeze-dried Maine blueberries
- Micro lemongrass
In bottom of wide dessert bowl, arrange 2 large and 6 small Yumberry Panna Cotta hemispheres. Arrange a heaping spoon of freeze-dried blueberries around base of custard. Place 5-6 strawberry meringues around base of bowl. Add 7-8 blades of micro lemongrass. Place one white chocolate garnish on top. Pour enough light anglaise around base of dessert on one half, so as not to soak all the crispy ingredients. Serve immediately.