Sugar coral, dark chocolate, sugar for blowing and pulling, white chocolate, pastillage and modeling marzipan by Laura Johnson-Lachowecki, CC, Baker, University of Notre Dame Food Services, Notre Dame, IN.
Following are basic recipes for the components of the showpiece.
- 0.5 oz/15 g confectioner’s sugar (12 X)
- 0.14 oz/4 g egg white
- 1.58 oz/45 g water
- 5.3 oz/150 g granulated sugar
1. Mix the confectioners’ sugar and egg white together.
2. Boil the water and granulated sugar together until 275°F. Add the confectioners’ sugar mixture and mix until foamy. Pour into a foil-lined bowl. Let cool.
- 6.6 lb/3 kg dark chocolate
- 1 oz/30 g cocoa butter
Temper chocolate with cocoa butter.
Sugar for Blowing and Pulling:
- 17.6/500 g Isomalt
- 1.76 oz/50 g beet sugar
- 3.5 oz/100 g water
1. Combine Isomalt and sugar in a pan with water. Cook to 320°F.
2. Pour out onto Silpat and begin to stretch and pull until glossy.
- 7.7 lb/3.5 kg white chocolate
- 1.2 oz/35 g cocoa butter
- 0.42 oz/12 g orange food coloring
Temper chocolate with cocoa butter and stir in coloring.
- 0.37 oz/10.5 g gum tragacanth
- 2 oz/56 g cornstarch
- 26 oz/737 g confectioners’ sugar, divided
- 4 oz/113 g water
1. Combine the gum tragacanth, cornstarch, 2 oz/56 g of the confectioners’ sugar and the water in the bowl of a mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Whip until smooth.
2. Switch to the paddle attachment. Add the remaining 24 oz/680 g of confectioners’ sugar and mix until smooth. Knead.
- 0.42 oz/12 g almond paste
- 0.1 oz/3 g glucose
- 0.42 oz/12 g confectioners’ sugar, sifted
Blend almond paste and glucose until well combined. Add confectioners’ sugar and mix until pliable. Wrap tightly in plastic and store until ready to use.