Banana tapioca pudding, green tea matcha chiffon, milk chocolate tuile, smoked caramel ice cream and caramelized pecans by Rory MacDonald, Executive Pastry Chef USA of Hakkasan Group in New York, NY.
Yield: 12 servings
Banana Tapioca Pudding:
- 8.8 oz/250 g tapioca
- 22.5 oz/640 g banana puree
- 21.16 oz/600 g milk
- 3.5 oz/100 g granulated sugar
- Zest of 2 limes
- Salt, to taste
1. Bring a pot of water to a roaring boil. Add tapioca pearls and cook, stirring occasionally, until almost, but not quite, cooked.
2. Meanwhile, bring banana puree, milk, and sugar to a boil in a separate pot. Once tapioca is almost cooked, strain into a tamis. Rinse well with cold water. Add to pot with puree mixture and finish cooking. Pour into hotel pan and let cool overnight.
3. Add lime zest and salt to taste.
Green Tea Matcha Chiffon (makes 48 portions):
- 3 large egg yolks
- 3 oz/85 g granulated sugar
- 2 Tbs vegetable oil
- 2 liq oz/59 ml water
- 2.6 oz/75 g all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 Tbs matcha powder
- 2 large egg whites
1. Whisk together yolks, sugar, oil, and water. Fold in the flour, baking powder and matcha powder.
2. Whisk the whites to soft peaks, then fold into batter. Pour into sheet pan and bake at 350°F.
Milk Chocolate Tuile:
- 7 oz/200 g glucose syrup
- 7 oz/200 g fondant
- 3.5 oz/100 g Isomalt
- 3.5 oz/100 g milk chocolate
1. In saucepan, cook glucose, fondant, and Isomalt to 320°F. Cool to 248°F and add chocolate. Pour onto Silpat and cool completely.
2. When cool, blitz to a fine powder in a food processor. Using a tamis, tap onto a greased tray and bake. Cut out circles while warm.
Smoked Caramel Ice Cream:
- 42.3 oz/1200 g granulated sugar, divided
- 8.4 oz/240 g unsalted butter
- 33.8 liq oz/1 lt heavy cream
- 84.5 liq oz/2.5 lt milk
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- 14 oz/400 g egg yolks
- 0.8 oz/24 g smoked sea salt
1. Caramelize 2.2 lb/1 kg of the sugar. Deglaze with the butter. Add the cream, milk and vanilla bean. Make an anglaise with the yolks and remaining 7 oz/200 g sugar. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve and add sea salt.
2. Cool over an ice bath, mature and churn.
- 12.3 oz/350 g granulated sugar
- 7 oz/200 g water
- 17.6 oz/500 g pecans
- 0.7 oz/20 g unsalted butter
Bring sugar and water to 244°F and stir in pecans. Continue to stir past crystallization, until mixture caramelizes. Deglaze with butter and pour onto Silpat. Cool.
1. Place the cooled Banana Tapioca Pudding into a pastry bag. Pipe 4.5 oz/130 g into the base of the coupe. Tap to level out the pudding.
2. Break the Green Tea Matcha Chiffon into 3 small pieces and place on top pudding. Cut a banana into 3 0.4”/1 cm cubes, sprinkle lightly with sugar and glaze with a blowtorch until a deep golden brown color is achieved. Place randomly on top of the pudding. Break 3/4 of the Caramelized Pecans into smaller pieces and sprinkle on top of the pudding. Using a small quenelle spoon, quenelle one scoop of the Smoked Salted Caramel Ice Cream and place off-center on top of the pudding. Light a smoke gun with a small amount of hickory chips (it’s important to use this type), fill the glass with smoke and then quickly seal the glass with the Caramel Chocolate Tuile. Serve immediately.