Executive Pastry Chef Jimmy MacMillan’s dessert featuring pickled Mutsu apples and apple pie gelato.
Yield: about 2.2 lb/1 kg
Pickled Mutsu Apples:
- 17.6 oz/500 g water
- 17.6 oz/500 g raw apple cider vinegar
- 15.5 oz/440 g granulated sugar
- 13.4 oz/380 g brown sugar
- 0.7 oz/20 g fresh ginger slices
- 1 stick Cassia cinnamon
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped
- 0.1 oz/3 g sea salt
- 5 Mutsu or green apples, peeled and cored
1. In a large heavy bottomed pot, bring everything except the apples to a boil. Turn heat off. Cover and steep until cool. Strain pickling mixture.
2. Divide apples into vacuum seal bag. Add 8 liq oz/236 ml of the pickling mixture and process. Reserve for several hours.
3. Remove fruit and chop finely.
Apple Pie Gelato:
- 17.6 oz/500 g whole milk
- 5.3 oz/150 g heavy cream
- 3.5 oz/100 g granulated sugar
- 1 oz/30 g atomized glucose
- 1 oz/30 g invert sugar
- 1.2 oz/35 g milk powder
- 0.14 oz/4 g ice cream stabilizer
- 14 oz/400 g Pickled Mutsu Apples, finely chopped
Combine milk and cream in small saucepot. Mix in all dry ingredients and heat to 185°F. Cool then process in batch freezer. Fold in chopped pickled apples. Serve with crunchy topping such as streusel or cake croutons.