Executive Pastry Chef Jimmy MacMillan’s dessert featuring nebiolo, thyme ricotta and Mutsu cider.
Yield: 30 servings
- 7 oz/200 g brown sugar
- 7 oz/200 g cake flour
- 7 oz/200 g almond flour, toasted
- 7 oz/200 g unsalted butter
- 0.17 oz/5 g salt
- 1.76 oz/50 g Apple ‘Honnee’
1. Blend all the ingredients until combined in food processor. Chill for 4 hours.
2. Grate dough evenly over parchment lined half sheet pan, no more than ¼” thick. Bake at 325°F until lightly colored.
Apple Confit Tart:
- 8 lb/3.6 kg seedling Mutsu apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 28.2 oz/800 g raw sugar
- 1.76 oz/50 g apple cider vinegar
- 1.76 oz/50 g water
- 1.5 oz/42 g gelatin sheets
- 0.7 oz/20 g apple pectin
- 0.26 oz/7.5 g Korinje cinnamon, ground
- 0.07 oz/2 g freshly ground nutmeg
1. Cook the apples with the sugar, apple cider vinegar and water until apples are translucent.
2. Dissolve the gelatin and pectin into the apple mixture. Cook until apples start to become translucent. Pour over the baked crust. Mix should come to top of sheet pan. Level off. Freeze.
3. Cut into 1.5”x 2” rectangles. Thaw for service. Warm to order.
Hibiscus Poached Apple:
- 33.8 liq oz/1 lt apple juice
- 33.8 liq oz/1 lt Nebiolo-based wine
- 15.8 oz/450 g granulated sugar
- 0.35 oz/10 g apple cider vinegar powder
- 0.77 oz/22 g mulling spice
- 1.3 oz/38 g hibiscus
- 12 Senshu apples
1. Combine all ingredients except apples in medium-sized saucepan. Simmer to dissolve sugar.
2. Peel apples and scoop rounds using melon scoop. Strain the poaching liquid. Return to a clean pot. Poach apples very slowly. Keep a parchment circle on top to keep apples immersed in liquid. Chill and store in poaching liquid.
Apple Thyme Ricotta:
- 2.6 lb/1.2 kg heavy cream
- 4 lb/1.8 kg whole milk
- 12 Senshu apples, cut into brunoise
- 10.5 oz/300 g granulated sugar
- 0.07 oz/2 g salt
- 0.1 oz/3 g fresh thyme
- 0.42 oz/12 g citric acid
Place all ingredients in a pot except the citric acid. Bring to a boil for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and add the citric acid. Let sit covered with moist cloth for 1 ½ hours. Remove thyme. Wrap in cheesecloth and place in perforated pan. Allow to drain overnight.
Mutsu Cider Gelée:
- 17.6 oz/500 g Mutsu cider
- 3.5 oz/100 g granulated sugar
- 0.1 oz/3 g low acyl gellan
Place cider in saucepan and sheer dry ingredients in with hand blender; bring to boil. Pour into round silicone molds. Chill, then cut into cubes.
Carrot Cake Puree:
- Carrot cake scraps
- Heavy cream
Puree carrot cake scraps with a small amount of heavy cream in food processor until creamy. Place in piping bag for service.
- Thyme sprigs
- Egg white
- Granulated sugar
Paint Thyme sprigs with egg whites and dredge in sugar. Dry in food dehydrator at 120°F for 6-8 hours.
Hot Mutsu Cider:
Bring cider to simmer and store in thermos or air pot for service.
In a shallow bowl, pipe a large dollop of carrot cake puree. Place one Apple Confit Tart slightly off center in the bowl. Arrange three poached apples on and around the tart. Spoon a tablespoon of Apple Thyme Ricotta next to tart. Arrange three Mutsu Gelée slices around base of dessert. Garnish with Crystallized Thyme. Pour steaming hot Mutsu cider into bowl tableside.