Coconut chocolate cream, banana-anise gelato, amarena cherry custards, coconut foam, candied cacao nibs and banana nib tuiles by Evan Sheridan, Executive Pastry Chef of The Umstead Hotel and Spa in Cary, NC.
Coconut Chocolate Cream:
- 11.46 oz/325 g coconut puree
- 2.8 oz/79 g organic granulated sugar
- 0.35 oz/10 g cocoa powder
- 3.5 oz/100 g whole eggs
- 1.4 oz/40 g egg yolks
- 2.3 oz/67 g deZaan Intense milk chocolate
- 0.3 oz/9 g gelatin, bloomed
- 0.035 oz/1 g salt
In a saucepan, combine coconut puree with sugar and cocoa powder and bring to a simmer. Whisk together eggs and egg yolks and temper into the coconut mixture. Cook, stirring, to 185°F. Pour over chocolate in bowl and emulsify. Blend in drained gelatin and salt. Cast in 1 ½” sphere molds and allow to set in freezer.
- 28 oz/792 g whole milk
- 7 oz/198 g heavy cream 35%
- 3.5 oz/99 g milk powder
- 8.3 oz/238 g granulated sugar
- 2.8 oz/80 g glucose powder
- 0.14 oz/4 g ice cream stabilizer
- 2.1 oz/60 g egg yolks, whisked lightly
- 17.6 oz/500 g banana puree
- 5 pieces star anise
1. In saucepan, combine milk, cream, milk powder, sugar, glucose powder and stabilizer and cook to 185°F. Temper in egg yolks. Strain and cool.
2. Blend banana puree in by hand and then either Pacotize or process in batch freezer.
Amarena Cherry Custards:
- 1 Tahitian vanilla bean
- 10.5 oz/300 g heavy cream
- 0.7 oz/20 g granulated sugar
- 2.6 oz/74 g egg yolks
- 0.21 oz/6 g gelatin, bloomed
- 0.21 oz/6 g Pre Gel Amarena cherry juice
- Pre Gel Amarena cherry pieces
Infuse vanilla into cream and heat. Add sugar. Temper egg yolks into mixture and heat to 185°F. Stir in drained gelatin and cherry juice. Strain and cast into micro flavor bar molds. Add chopped cherry pieces. Freeze until set.
- 17.6 oz/500 g coconut puree
- 0.17 oz/5 g gelatin, bloomed
- 1.76 oz/50 g granulated sugar
- 0.026 oz/0.75 g xanthan gum
- Zest of 1 lime
1. Heat the coconut puree with the bloomed gelatin and sugar until the gelatin completely melts. Blend in xanthan gum. Allow to set.
2. Break up and load into ISI siphon with 3 charges.
Candied Cacao Nibs:
- 3.5 oz/100 g granulated sugar
- 1.76 oz/50 g water
- 3.5 oz/100 g roasted cacao nibs
In heavy saucepan, cook sugar and water to soft ball stage. Add cacao nibs and stir off heat until crystallized.
Banana Nib Tuiles:
- 7 oz/198 g confectioners’ sugar
- 3 oz/86 g softened butter
- 3.5 oz/99 g banana puree
- 2 oz/58 g cake flour, sifted
- Candied Cacao Nibs, to taste
Cream confectioners’ sugar with softened butter. Add puree, then cake flour. Spread onto sheet pan lined with baking mat and bake at 350°F. Halfway through baking, sprinkle nibs over batter. Bake until browned and cool, then break into small, irregular pieces.
- Fresh herbs and edible flowers
1. Unmold the chocolate coconut spheres and the cherry custards.
2. Dispense the Coconut Foam into liquid nitrogen and break up into tiny pieces with a whisk. Store this in the freezer and refresh with liquid nitrogen when needed.
3. Plate a small mound of the Candied Cacao Nibs on the left side of the plate. Place the chocolate coconut sphere on the right side of the plate. Arrange 2 of the Amarena Cherry Custards on opposite sides of the plate. Place a quenelle of the gelato on top of the Candied Cacao Nibs. Partially cover the chocolate coconut orb with the Coconut Foam. Place pieces of the Banana Nib Tuile on top of the orb and quenelle. Garnish with fresh herbs and flowers.