Miro Uskokovic, Top Ten Pastry Chef of 2015, presents his Strawberry Old Fashioned Cake Doughnut & Milk.
Yield: 30 servings
Strawberry Cake Doughnuts:
- 20.17 oz/572 g granulated organic sugar
- 12.2 oz/346 g local whole eggs
- 31.8 oz/903 g King Arthur all-purpose flour
- 12.7 oz/361 g King Arthur cake flour
- 2 oz/57 g baking powder
- 0.21 oz/6 g kosher salt
- 0.07 oz/2 g ground nutmeg
- 10.6 oz/301 g Vermont Creamery unsalted butter, melted
- 16 oz/453 g local whole milk
- Grapeseed oil, for frying
1. Beat sugar and eggs to ribbon stage.
2. Sift flours, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Mix melted butter and milk. Mix dry and wet ingredients until mixture comes together. Cover with plastic wrap and chill overnight.
3. On very well-floured surface, sheet doughnut dough to #10. Chill in freezer for half an hour and cut using cookie cutters. Chill again while oil is heating up. Donuts should be cold before going into oil.
4. Heat up grapeseed oil in a pot to 375°F. Fry doughnuts until golden brown on each side. Cool.
Candied Wild Rose Petals:
- Organic wild rose petals
- Egg whites
- Organic granulated sugar
Brush each rose petal lightly with egg white and sprinkle with sugar. Place on a dehydrator trays in a single layer and dehydrate for few hours, or until fully dry and crispy.
Strawberry and Rose Glaze:
- 67 oz/1901 g 10x confectioners’ sugar
- 11.28 oz/320 g fresh strawberry puree, seeds strained
- 7.4 oz/210 g local whole milk
- 1 oz/30 g rose water
- 2.4 oz/70 g freeze-dried strawberries
- Strawberry powder, for sprinkling
Combine confectioners’ sugar, strawberry puree, whole milk and rose water and mix well. Process strawberries in a food processor until fine powder forms and add to glaze, mixing well. Glaze doughnuts, sprinkle with strawberry powder and crushed Candied Rose Petals.
- 1 gal/3.7 lt local whole milk, such as Five Acre Farms or Battenkill Creamery
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
- 28.2 oz/800 g fresh strawberry puree
- 10.5 oz/300 g strawberry liqueur
Combine milk with vanilla seeds and pod and bring to simmer. Cool down completely. Add strawberry puree and liqueur and blend well. Strain and chill. Serve cold with donuts.