Almond tart dough, mascarpone cream and white chocolate disk by Biagio Settepani, Pastry Chef and Master Baker.
Yield: two 8” tarts
Almond Tart Dough:
- 1 lb/454 g unsalted butter
- 1 lb/454 g confectioners’ sugar
- 7 oz/200 g whole eggs
- 32 oz/908 g pastry flour
- 8 oz/227 g almond flour
1. Lightly cream the butter and confectioners’ sugar together. Gradually add the whole eggs while mixing, and then the pastry and almond flours. Mix well. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours before using.
2. Roll dough out to 1/8” and line two 8” tart pans with it. Blind bake at 425°F for 15 minutes, then remove weights and bake for 5 to 8 minutes more. Set aside to cool.
- 6.3 oz/180 g egg whites
- 10 oz/283 g granulated sugar
- 32 oz/907 g mascarpone cheese
- 3.5 oz/100 g whole eggs
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange
1. To make the mascarpone cream, whip the egg whites in a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment at medium speed until soft peaks begin to form. Gradually add the sugar and whip at high speed until stiff peaks form.
2. In another bowl, stir together the mascarpone cheese, eggs and citrus zest. Fold the meringue into the cheese mixture and mix well.
White Chocolate Disk:
- White chocolate, as needed
1. Melt and temper the white chocolate and pour it onto an acetate sheet, spreading it into a thin, even layer. Allow the chocolate to crystallize.
2. Cut out a round disk, using a lid as a guide.
- Fresh berries
Pipe the Mascarpone Cream into the bottom of the prepared tart shells. Pipe a second layer of cream onto the first layer. Place the white chocolate disk on top of the cream. Decorate the tarts with fresh berries.