Executive Pastry Chef Jimmy MacMillan’s dessert featuring pistachio cake, apricot toffee cream, apricot compote, toffee tuiles and candied pistachios.
Yield: 30 servings
- 21.8 oz/620 g almond paste 70%
- 5 oz/140 g pistachio paste
- 1.7 oz/48 g coconut palm sugar
- 7.7 oz/220 g unsalted butter
- 3 oz/84 g Trimoline
- 0.8 oz/24 g salt
- 3 oz/84 g coconut nectar
- 19.2 oz/545 g eggs
- 18.3 oz/520 g all-purpose flour
1. Preheat oven to 325°F (162°C). In mixer with paddle attachment, beat almond and pistachio paste, butter, coconut palm sugar and salt until light and smooth. Add eggs slowly, mixing between each addition. Sift flour and add gradually at low speed until just blended.
2. Spread mixture onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake 15-18 minutes.
3. Freeze. Cut into strips 2”x13”. Reserve for assembly with apricot toffee cream.
Apricot Toffee Cream:
- 5.3 oz/150 g heavy cream 35%
- 1.3 oz/38 g apricot puree
- 8 oz/226 g coconut palm sugar
- 8 oz/226 g whole eggs
- 0.14 oz.4 g gelatin
- 5.8 oz/166 g unsalted butter
- 0.21 oz/6 g lemon zest
1. Heat cream and apricot puree in saucepan until hot.
2. Dry-caramelize the coconut palm sugar. Deglaze with the hot cream and apricot puree. Pour over the eggs and heat the custard mixture to 185°F (85ºC). Add the bloomed gelatin sheets. Cool to about 95°F (35°C) and add the butter and the freshly grated lemon zest. Smooth with a hand blender. Mold in 2”x 13” terrine molds. Keep in the freezer.
3. Assemble by placing one pistachio cake in bottom of terrine. Pipe apricot toffee on top (the same thickness as cake). Add another cake, than another layer of toffee and top with last pistachio cake. Freeze.
4. Cut into 3” lengths, then cut in half to form 2 rectangles 1”x 3”. Reserve for plating.
- 10.5 oz/300 g dried apricots
- 1 oz/30 g coconut nectar
- 0.28 oz/8 g coconut vinegar
Plump apricots by covering with water and simmering in small saucepan. Pour off most of the water and in food processor blend with coconut nectar and coconut vinegar. Chill.
- 8.1 oz/230 g unsalted butter
- 11.4 oz/323 g granulated sugar
- 1.9 oz/55 g cognac
- 11.28 oz/320 g coconut nectar
- 8.3 oz/236 g all-purpose flour
- 0.7 oz/20 g toffee extract (non GMO)
1. Cream butter and sugar together. Add cognac and coconut nectar. Scrape down sides.
Add flour and toffee extract. Chill.
2. Pipe nickel sized dollops onto silicone mat. Bake at 325°F until golden brown. While warm, shape around small metal tubes to form cylindrical tubes.
- 7 oz/200 g coconut palm sugar
- 1.76 oz/50 g water
- 14 oz/400 g whole pistachios, warmed
- 0.7 oz/20 g coconut oil
- 0.07 oz/2 g salt
1. Combine sugar and water in small saucepan. Caramelize on high heat, then add warmed pistachios, coconut oil and salt. Cook to coat, then pour out on silicone mat and separate with two spoons.
2. Cool and chop for plating.
In center of plate, balance two pistachio apricot toffee cakes. Add quenelle of apricot compote.
Place two Toffee Tuiles behind cakes. Finish with candied pistachios.