Banana ice cream, forest berry sorbet, pistachio crumble, vanilla parfait, forest berry coulis and pistachio sponge.
Yield: 12 servings
Banana Ice Cream:
- 34.7 oz/986 g whole milk
- 4.7 oz/133 g nonfat dry milk powder
- 21.5 oz/609 g heavy cream
- 11.7 oz/333 g granulated sugar
- 4 oz/114 g glucose powder
- 0.25 oz/7.5 g ice cream stabilizer
- 1 oz/28 g rum
- 20.14 oz/571 g fresh banana
1. Bring milk, milk powder, cream, sugar, glucose powder, stabilizer and banana to 185°F. Blend with immersion blender. Cool rapidly, add rum, and mature in refrigerator.
2. Blend well before processing in ice cream machine.
Forest Berry Sorbet:
- 14.3 oz/405 g water
- 11.4 oz/323 g granulated sugar
- 4.6 oz/132 g glucose powder
- 0.23 oz/6.6 g sorbet stabilizer
- 15.5 oz/440 g raspberry puree
- 15.5 oz/440 g cassis puree
- 15.5 oz/440 g strawberry puree
1. Bring the water, sugar, glucose powder and stabilizer to a simmer. Add the purees. Cool rapidly and mature in refrigerator.
2. Blend with immersion blender before processing in ice cream machine. After coming out of the machine, line a 3” tube with the sorbet making sure the wall thickness is about ½” thick and the center is hollow.
- 1 oz/29 g pastry flour
- 0.014 oz/0.4 g fleur de sel
- 0.88 oz/25 g granulated sugar
- 1.3 oz/38 g pistachios, finely chopped
- 1 oz/29 g unsalted butter, cubed
Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl. Cut in butter. Mix until ingredients come together. Scatter on sheet pan and bake at 310°F for 28 minutes.
- 4.12 oz/117 g whole milk
- 3.2 oz/92 g granulated sugar
- 0.74 oz/21 g inverted sugar
- 2.9 oz/82 g egg yolks
- 0.17 oz/5 g Madagascar vanilla bean, split
- 8.15 oz/231 g heavy cream, whipped
- 3.5 oz/100 g Pistachio Crumble (above)
1. Bring milk, sugar, trimoline, egg yolks and vanilla to 185°F. Strain and cool rapidly. Gently fold in whipped cream.
2. Gently push Pistachio Crumble through #5 sifter and fold into mixture.
Forest Berry Coulis:
- 0.21 oz/6 g gelatin
- 0.8 oz/24 g water
- 2.3 oz/66 g raspberry puree
- 2.3 oz/66 g cassis puree
- 2.3 oz/66 g strawberry puree
- 2.3 oz/65 g inverted sugar
- 2.3 oz/65 g dextrose
- 0.17 oz/5 g framboise
- 0.7 oz/20 g raspberry brandy
1. Bloom the gelatin in the water.
2. Combine the remaining ingredients together. Dissolve gelatin with one-quarter of the puree mixture and then blend both mixtures together. Cast into a tube ¾” diameter that is lined with acetate and freeze.
- 2.8 oz/79 g confectioners’ sugar (10X)
- 6 oz/172 g pistachios
- 1.8 oz/52 g bread flour
- 5.4 oz/154 g aged egg whites
- 0.06 oz/1.8 g egg white powder
- 0.04 oz/1.1 g cream of tartar
- 2.4 oz/67 g granulated sugar
- 1.8 oz/52 g unsalted butter, melted
- 0.045 oz/1.3 g salt
- 0.9 oz/26 g inverted sugar
- 1.6 oz/45 g pistachio paste 0.013 oz/0.38 g salt
- 3.4 oz/97 g egg yolks
- 1 oz/30 g pistachio oil
1. Process the confectioners’ sugar, pistachios and bread flour together.
2. Place the egg whites, egg white powder and cream of tartar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment and begin whisking on medium speed. Add half of the sugar slowly and increase the speed to high. Add remaining sugar and whisk until stiff peaks form. Switch to the paddle attachment and, mixing on low speed, add the butter, salt and inverted sugar. Add the yolks, pistachio oil and dry ingredients and mix until blended.
3. Spread onto lined sheet pan and bake at 310°F for 20 minutes.
1. Unmold the Forest Berry Coulis and place it into the hollow sorbet tube so that it is attached to the sorbet. Place back into freezer.
2. Pipe the Vanilla Parfait into the sorbet tube up to the top, making sure one end has been wrapped in plastic. Place back in freezer until solid.
3. For final assembly, take a 4” Plexiglass tube cut in half horizontally and line each half with the fresh spun Banana Ice Cream, making sure wall thickness in each half is about ½” thick. Lay frozen sorbet insert onto one of the halves and then cover with the other half and press together. Clean off excess ice cream and store in freezer until ready to serve. Present on baked pistachio sponge that has been modified to fit contour.