Chocolate pecan sponge, crumble, croustillant, ganache, chocolate cremeux, tangerine compote, chocolate mousse, chocolate namalaka and chocolate glaze.
Yield: 12 servings
Chocolate Pecan Sponge:
- 12.16 oz/345 g confectioners’ sugar
- 14.3 oz/405 g pecan flour
- 4.7 oz/135 g pastry flour
- 2.1 oz/60 g cocoa powder
- 14.3 oz/405 g toasted pecans
- 11.6 oz/330 g egg whites
- 6.3 oz/180 g granulated sugar
- 4.7 oz/135 g Guanaja chocolate 80%
- 4 oz/114 g clarified butter
- 0.8 oz/24 g grape seed oil
- 10 oz/285 g egg yolks
- 7 oz/201 g whole eggs
1. Process the confectioners’ sugar, pecan flour, pastry flour and cocoa powder together.
2. Place the egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and mix on medium speed. Add half of the sugar slowly and then turn the mixer to high speed. Whip to stiff peaks.
3. Melt together chocolate and clarified butter and stir in grape seed oil.
4. Whip together egg yolks, whole eggs and processed dry ingredients at high speed to ribbon stage. Fold in whipped egg whites. Fold in melted butter mixture. Pour into lined half sheet pan and bake at 300°F for 20 minutes.
- 1.6 oz/46 g unsalted butter
- 0.81 oz/23 g Vergoise sugar
- 1 oz/28 g pecan flour
- 0.81 oz/23 g confectioners’ sugar
- 2 oz/56 g pastry flour
Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer and mix with paddle until crumbly. Pass through a #4 sifter and scatter onto sheet pan. Bake at 300°F for 15 minutes.
- 6 oz/172 g Crumble (above)
- 0.7 oz/20 g unsalted butter
- 1.3 oz/37 g Caraibe chocolate 66%
- 1.9 oz/55 g pecan praline
- 0.6 oz/17 g feuilletine
- 0.03 oz/1 g salt
Melt together butter and chocolate. Stir in pecan praline, then Crumble, feuilletine and salt. Press into mold that is the same size as the chocolate pecan sponge.
- 1.8 oz/51 g heavy cream
- 1.6 oz/45 g whole milk
- 1.7 oz/48 g glucose
- 4 oz/115 g Guanaja chocolate 70%
Combine heavy cream, milk and glucose in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Pour over chocolate and whisk to emulsify. With the fresh ganache, build the cake insert for the bottom. Spread a thin amount of ganache onto the croustillant and place the sponge cake on top of the ganache so they will adhere together, chill.
- 0.17 oz/5 g vanilla bean, split
- 6.17 oz/175 g whole milk
- 6.17 oz/175 g heavy cream
- 2.6 oz/75 g egg yolks
- 1.4 oz/40 g trimoline
- 3.8 oz/110 g Manjari chocolate 64%
- 2.1 oz/60 g Jivara chocolate 40%
1. Cold infuse vanilla bean with whole milk and heavy cream for 24 hours.
2. Prepare a crème anglaise: place the milk and cream in a saucepan and heat until steam begins to form around the edges of the pan. Meanwhile, whisk the yolks with the trimoline. Temper into the hot milk and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon or silicone spatula, until mixture thickens and reaches 185°F. Pour hot custard over the chocolates and mix to emulsify. Cast in a flexipan mold about 3/16”and freeze to be used as an insert.
- 5.6 oz/160 g tangerine peel (discard stem end)
- 2.2 lb/1 kg bottled water
- 0.14 oz/4 g salt
- 0.03 oz/1 g baking soda
- 0.009 oz/0.25 g ascorbic acid
- 11.25 oz/319 g tangerine pulp
- 6 oz/168 g granulated sugar
- 0.13 oz/3.8 g NH pectin
- 0.5 oz/14 g powdered gelatin
- 0.84 oz/24 g glucose powder
- 1.4 oz/40 g passion fruit puree
- 0.25 oz/7 g lime juice
1. Blanch the skins three times as follows in the water, salt, baking soda and ascorbic acid: first time for 10 minutes, second time for 5 minutes, third time for 5 minutes.
2. Supreme segments, removing seeds. Hot process in Robo Coupe. Cook sous vide at 194°F for 1 hour.
3. Cast the compote into a Flexipan mold about 3/16” thick and freeze solid.
- 12.4 oz/351 g Caraibe chocolate 66%
- 4.4 oz/125 g whole milk
- 4.4 oz/125 g heavy cream
- 1.8 oz/51 g egg yolks
- 0.84 oz/24 g granulated sugar
- 15.8 oz/450 g heavy cream, whipped to soft peaks
1. Melt chocolate and reserve.
2. Prepare a crème anglaise: place milk and cream in saucepan and heat until just beginning to form small bubbles around the edge of the pan. In a bowl, whisk together yolks and sugar and temper into hot milk mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and reaches 185°F. Pour the hot custard over the chocolate and blend to emulsify. Cool the mixture to 93°F and fold in the whipped cream.
- 7 oz/200 g whole milk
- 0.35 oz/10 g glucose
- 8.8 oz/250 g Guanaja chocolate 70%
- 0.17 oz/5 g gelatin
- 14 oz/400 g heavy cream
Prepare a ganache with the milk, glucose, chocolate and gelatin. Add the cream to the ganache while mixing. Cast in a Flexipan mold that is about 3/16” thick and let set.
- 7.7 oz/220 g granulated sugar
- 11.35 oz/322 g glucose
- 9 oz/255 g water
- 9.4 oz/268 g sweetened condensed milk
- 1.6 oz/45 g gelatin, bloomed in 9 oz/255 g water
- 6.7 oz/190 g unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 0.7 oz/20 g black cocoa powder
Combine sugar, glucose, water and sweetened condensed milk and cook to 217°F. Add bloomed gelatin along with the 9 oz/255 g water. Add chocolate and cocoa powder and blend by hand. Use glaze at 95-104°F.
Fill an entremet ring about 1/3 of the way up. Press the Namalaka and the Tangerine Compote into the mousse making sure they sit level. Pour a thin coat of mousse to cover the inserts. Press the cake insert in until the mousse comes up to the top of the ring. Level off and freeze. When frozen, coat with Chocolate Glaze and temper in the cooler.