Rudi Weider, Top Ten Pastry Chef of 2014, presents his Chocolate Espresso Crème Brûlée with Bourbon Vanilla Gelato and Salted Coffee Caramel Sauce.
Yield: 66 servings
- 0.5 qt/0.47 lt heavy cream
- 3 oz/85 g unsalted butter
- 1 lb/454 g g bittersweet chocolate couverture, 58%
Bring the cream and the butter to a boil, pour over couverture and whisk it well until all chocolate is dissolved, strain.
Espresso Crème Brulee:
- 84.3 oz/2390 g heavy cream
- 15.5 oz/441 g granulated sugar
- 20.7 oz/588 g egg yolks
- 2.3 oz/65 g espresso extract (Trablit)
- 0.7 oz/20 g vanilla paste
- 1.4 oz/40 g gelatin sheets, bloomed
- Melted bittersweet chocolate
1. Mix together cream, sugar and egg yolks and cook, stirring, until mixture thickens slightly and reaches 185°F. Add the espresso extract, vanilla and gelatin. Strain through a fine mesh, pour into mold and freeze.
2. Pour chocolate on top. Once set cover completely with dark chocolate ganache.
Chocolate Breton Tart Shell Dough:
- 1 lb/454 g unsalted butter
- 1 lb/454 g granulated sugar
- 8 oz/228 g egg yolks
- 24 oz/680 g all-purpose flour
- 2.5 oz/71 g cocoa powder
- 1.5 oz/42 g baking powder
Cream the butter and the sugar until well blended and smooth, slowly add the egg yolks until incorporated, gradually add the flour, cocoa and baking powder. Let rest in cooler covered.
Salted Caramel Coffee Sauce:
- 6 oz/170 g unsalted butter
- 10 oz/283 g brown sugar
- 12 oz/340 g heavy cream
- 0.12 oz/3 g espresso powder
- 0.12 oz/3 g sea salt
- 0.25 oz/7 g vanilla extract
Melt butter over medium heat. Add brown sugar, heavy cream, espresso powder and salt. Whisk continuously until espresso powder has dissolved. Bring mixture to a good boil and turn down the heat to a simmer for 8 minutes. Whisk in vanilla.
Bourbon Vanilla Gelato:
- 24 oz/680 g heavy cream
- 24 oz/680 g milk
- 12 oz/340 g granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 bourbon vanilla bean, split
- 8 large egg yolks
Combine the cream, milk, sugar, salt and vanilla bean in a pot and bring to a boil. Temper the warm milk mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly. Strain and let it cool overnight. Spin in ice cream machine.
- Almond brittle
- Chocolate cigarette
- Cacao nibs
- Crushed chocolate covered coffee beans
- Fresh raspberries
1. Using the positive side of a bubble rubber mold, press it onto edible gold dust and then onto the plate.
2. Place the Chocolate Breton Tart Shell, filled with the Espresso Crème Brulee and Chocolate Ganache, onto the plate, attaching it with a little dot of ganache on the bottom of the white chocolate triangle logo. Garnish with almond brittle, chocolate cigarette, raspberry and cacao nibs. Arrange gelato on bed of crushed chocolate coffee beans and garnish with sauce.