Della Gossett, Top Ten Pastry Chef of 2014, presents her White Chocolate “Crottin”.
Yield: 25 servings
- 0.42 oz/12 g gelatin
- 2.1 oz/60 g water
- 2.2 lb/1 kg goat’s milk, divided
- 0.07 oz/2 g organic vegetable rennet, dissolved in 2 tsp. water
- 17.6 oz/500 g Guittard 31% “Crème Francais” white chocolate
- 3.5 oz/100 g plain goat’s milk yogurt
1. Bloom gelatin in cold water, set aside
2. Warm 17.6 oz/500 g goat’s milk to 85°C. Melt gelatin solution in the goat’s milk. Pour over white chocolate, emulsify with a hand blender.
3. Whisk the yogurt and remaining 17.6 oz/500 g cold goat’s milk together. Add to white chocolate mixture. Whisk well. Add diluted rennet solution. Cast into 2-oz aluminum tins lined with 2 layers of cheesecloth
Surinam Cherry Preserves:
- 3.5 oz/100 g Surinam cherries
- 2.6 oz/75 g granulated sugar
- 1 Nielsen-Massey Tahitian vanilla bean, scraped
- 1 oz/30 g lemon juice
Pit Surinam cherries over a bowl to collect all the juice. Weigh juice and cherry pulp to 3.5 oz/100 g. Add sugar, vanilla bean pulp and lemon juice. Cook cherries until juices are reduced and the preserves are slightly thickened.
Caramelized White Chocolate “Ash”:
- 7 oz/200 g Guittard 31% “Crème Francais” white chocolate
- Tapioca maltodextrin, as needed
- Black cocoa powder, as needed
1. Preheat oven to 250°F. Place white chocolate on a Silpat. Bake in the oven until white chocolate caramelizes, about 30-45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Set the chocolate aside to cool.
2. When the white chocolate is cool, add tapioca maltodextrin until a desired crumbly texture is achieved. Add black cocoa powder as needed.
- Walnut bread, sliced thin, drizzled with olive oil, toasted and sprinkled with Fleur de Sel and Black Pepper
- Cherry -Balsamic Vinagrette
- Chef’s Garden Micro Greens : Salad Sensation with Fennel, Basil and Arugula Blossoms
Unmold white chocolate “Crottin” onto a plate. Garnish with Surinam Cherry Preserves, caramelized white chocolate “Ash”, toasted walnut bread, vinaigrette and micro greens.