Ebow Dadzie, Top Ten Pastry Chef of 2014, presents his Coconut Lime Dacquoise With Mango Olive Jelly, Coconut Mousse, Mango Pineapple Compote, and Banana Lime Sorbet.
Yield: 15 servings
- 0.17 oz/5 g egg white powder
- 4.2 oz/120 g 10X confectioners’ sugar
- 4.2 oz/120 g almond flour
- 10.5 oz/300 g egg whites
- 3.5 oz/100 g granulated sugar
- 3.5 oz/100 g coconut macaroons, unsweetened
1. Sift together egg white powder, 10x sugar and almond flour; set aside.
2. Make French meringue with egg whites and granulated sugar. Fold together meringue and dry ingredients. Fold in coconut macaroon last. Bake at 325°F for 12 minutes.
Mango-Olive Oil Cremeaux:
- 13.2 oz/375 g mango puree
- 5.3 oz/150 g granulated sugar
- 2.6 oz/75 g egg yolks
- 1 oz/30 g olive oil
- 3 gelatin sheets, bloomed
- 1.3 oz/38 g unsalted butter
1. Bring the mango puree to a simmer.
2. Whisk together sugar and egg yolks. Temper the sugar-yolk mixture with the puree and return to the stove. Cook until mixture coats the back of spoon. Add bloomed gelatin sheets. Once mixture is cool, Burr mix in butter and olive oil. Pour into molds and freeze.
- 5 oz/140 g coconut milk
- 1.76 oz/50 g milk
- 0.21 oz/6 g gelatin
- 8.8 oz/250 g heavy cream
- 1 oz/30 g coconut, grated
- 0.7 oz/20 g coconut liqueur
1. Warm the coconut milk and milk together. Add bloomed gelatin.
2. Whip heavy cream to soft peaks. Fold together milks and whipped cream. Fold in grated coconut. Add liqueur. Place in refrigerator to set fully before piping.
Banana Lime Sorbet:
- 17.6 oz/500 g granulated sugar
- 17 liq oz/500 ml water
- 0.7 oz/20 g sorbet stabilizer
- 17.6 oz/500 g banana puree
- 1.4 oz/40 g lime zest
1. Boil together sugar, water and sorbet stabilizer to create a syrup. Add banana puree and lime zest. Burr mix the mixture together.
2. Process mixture in ice cream machine.
Passion Fruit Sauce:
- 7 oz/200 g granulated sugar
- 8.8 oz/250 g water
- 8.4 oz/240 g passion fruit puree
- Seeds and pulp of 2 fresh passion fruits
In a saucepan, cook sugar and water to a light caramel. Deglaze with passion fruit puree. Stir in Passion fruit seeds and pulp. Refrigerate until ready to use.
1. Place a line of Passion Fruit Sauce in middle of plate. Arrange a line of crushed pistachio nuts crossing the sauce – this will prevent the sorbet from sliding.
2. Place a circle of Coconut Dacquoise in middle of plate. Arrange Mango Cremeux on top of dacquoise.
3. Put Coconut Mousse in pastry bag fitted with plain tip. Pipe out 5 rounds on top of the cremeux, making a hole in the center. Add some of the fresh pineapple and mango chunks in the center of the Coconut Mousse. Place a white chocolate circle garnish on the Coconut Mousse rounds.