Georges Berger, Top Ten Pastry Chef of 2014, presents his Pistachio Brittle & White Peach Mousse With Griotte Mascarpone Sorbet.
Yield: 8 servings
White Peach Glaze:
- 1.7 oz/50 g granulated sugar
- 0.17 oz/5 g pectin NH
- 9.7 oz/275 g white peach puree
- 1.2 oz/35 g water
- 2 oz/55 g glucose syrup
1. Combine sugar and pectin; set aside.
2. In a saucepan, combine puree, water and glucose and bring to a boil; boil for 1 minute. Add sugar and pectin mixture, blend well and boil again for 1 minute. Remove from heat and blend with immersion blender for 1 minute. Let cool to 104°F to use for glazing.
White Peach Light Mousse:
- 8.4 oz/240 g granulated sugar
- 1.76 oz/50 g water
- 5.6 oz/160 g egg whites
- 0.42 oz/12 g gelatin sheets, bloomed
- 31.7 oz/900 g white peach puree
- 14.1 oz/400 g Italian meringue
- 19 oz/540 g heavy cream
1. In a saucepan, cook sugar and water slowly to 249°F. Meanwhile, whip egg whites to soft peaks on medium speed and add sugar syrup in a thin stream while mixing to form Italian meringue.
2. Melt gelatin and add to warm meringue in a stream. Whip until cool.
3. Whip cream to soft peaks and set aside.
4. Bring puree to room temperature. Whisk into meringue ¼ at a time. Fold in whipped cream with large whip until smooth and lump free.
Pistachio Brittle Milk Chocolate Cream:
- 11.6 oz/330 g shelled pistachios
- 8 oz/227 g granulated sugar
- 2 oz/56 g water
- 2 oz/56 g unsalted butter
- 1.3 oz/38 g glucose syrup
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 12 oz/340 g heavy cream
- 16 oz/454 g milk chocolate couverture 38%
1. Roast pistachios on sheet pan at 350°F until light golden brown.
2. In saucepan, combine sugar, water, butter and glucose syrup and bring to 300°F. Add baking soda and mix quickly, then add roasted pistachios. Spread onto silicone baking mat as thinly as possible; cool completely.
3. Chop brittle into small pieces and process in food processor.
4. Whip cream to soft peaks and set aside.
5. Melt the milk chocolate until warm to the touch and fold in pistachio brittle. Fold in whipped cream.
- 21 oz/595 g ground pistachios
- 18 oz/510 g confectioners’ sugar
- 12 oz/340 g egg whites
- 6 oz/170 g granulated sugar
- 6 oz/170 g heavy cream
1. Grind pistachios with confectioners’ sugar in processor until fine.
2. Whip egg whites to medium stiff peaks while adding sugar in a stream to make meringue.
3. Fold part of the meringue and heavy cream into the dry ingredients. Repeat until all is combined and smooth. Spread in greased frame over silicone baking mat and bake at 350°F for 25 to 30 minutes. Cool.
- 17.6 oz/500 g cherry puree
- 4.4 oz/125 g granulated sugar
- 0.14 oz/4 g gelatin sheets
1. Heat puree in saucepan. Add sugar to puree and blend in food processor.
2. Bloom gelatin in ice water; drain and melt gelatin. Add melted gelatin to ¼ hot puree and return to remaining puree and mix.
Cherry Mascarpone Sorbet:
- 13.4 oz/382 g granulated sugar
- 0.16 oz/4.5 g sorbet stabilizer
- 17.6 oz/500 g water
- 15.8 oz/450 g mascarpone
- 2.2 lb/1 kg cherry puree
1. Mix together sugar and sorbet stabilizer. Add to water and bring to 180°F. Let stand for at least 4 hours and up to 12 hours.
2. Gently whisk in mascarpone, then add liquid puree. Mix well and process in ice cream machine.
- Fresh cherries
1. Spread Pistachio Brittle Milk Chocolate Cream on top of dacquoise and freeze until set.
2. Top milk chocolate cream with White Peach Light Mousse and freeze until set.
3. Glaze top with White Peach Glaze and allow to set. Unmold.
4. Serve slice of dessert with Cherry Mascarpone Sorbet. Spoon some coulis on plate. Garnish with fresh cherries and pistachios.