Shortcakes with barberries, almonds, and Earl Grey tea by Matthew J. O’Haver of ilili in New York, NY.
- 5.3 oz/150 g dry barberries
- 2.6 oz/75 g water
- 2.6 oz/75 g mulberry syrup
- 7 oz/200 g granulated sugar
- 5.3 oz/150 g almond flour
- 12.7 oz/360 g all-purpose flour
- 2.5 oz/72 g baking powder
- 0.04 oz/1.2 g salt
- 0.21 oz/6 g Earl Grey tea (ground)
- 14.4 oz/408 g buttermilk
- 0.35 oz/10 g orange blossom water
- 2.4 oz/68 g softened butter
- Slivered almonds
- Demerara sugar
1. Rehydrate dry barberries with water and mulberry syrup overnight. Squeeze out excess liquid.
2. Combine sugar, both flours, baking powder, salt and tea together in the bowl of a stand mixer. Using the paddle attachment, mix the dry ingredients together and slowly add the buttermilk, orange blossom water and softened butter (scrape down sides as needed). Lastly, add 7 oz/200 g of the rehydrated barberries; mix by hand so the berries do not break and turn the dough pink. Put the cake mixture into baking sleeves of your choice and brush the tops with buttermilk; top with slivered almonds and demerara sugar (optional). Bake at 350F for 10-14 minutes.