Malcolm Livingston II's Frozen Mango, Sake Lees Caramel, Sheep’s Milk, Smoked Cashew. Photo by Jeff Lazar for Dessert Professional
Malcolm Livingston II, Pastry Chef at wd~50, New York, NY, and one of DessertProfessional.com's Top 10 Pastry Chefs in America 2013, shares his signature Frozen Mango, Sake Lees Caramel, Sheep’s Milk, Smoked Cashew recipe.
Read more about Chef Malcolm Livingston II's Top 10 Pastry Chef 2013 Honors.
Yield: 16 servings
14.1 oz/400 g water
0.56 oz/16 g agar agar
21.16 oz/600 g mango puree
3.17 oz/90 g granulated sugar
0.1 oz/3 g salt
1 sheet gelatin, bloomed
1. In a pot, whisk water and agar agar together. Bring to a simmer. Add mango puree. Whisk and bring mixture to a full boil. Transfer to a Vita Prep blender. Shear in sugar, salt and drained gelatin sheet.
2. Transfer to an ice bath to set the gel.
3. Once set, re-blend to make a fluid gel.
15.8 oz/450 g sake
8.8 oz/250 g sake lees
18 oz/510 g granulated sugar
2.2 lb/1 kg cream
7 oz/200 g white chocolate, chopped
0.05 oz/1.4 g xanthan gum
0.21 oz/6 g salt
0.12 oz/3.5 g Ultrasperse 3
1. In a Vita Prep, blend the sake and sake lees to make a puree. Reserve.
2. In a pot, make a dry caramel with the sugar. Once the caramel is a medium-dark color, slowly deglaze with the cream, then add sake lees puree. Bring to a simmer while whisking until all the sugar is dissolved. Transfer mixture to a Vita Prep and blend in the white chocolate, xanthan gum, salt and Ultrasperse. Blend until homogenous.
3. Chill over an ice bath.
0.7 oz/20 g lemongrass
3.5 oz/100 g water
Peel lemongrass. Cut into uniform pieces. Cook in a pan until aromatic. Deglaze with the water. Simmer for 10 minutes. Cover and reserve.
3.5 oz/100 g Lemongrass Infusion
3.5 oz/100 g granulated sugar
In a pot, heat the Lemongrass Infusion with the sugar until the sugar is dissolved. Chill over an ice bath. Reserve.
8.8 oz/250 g mango
1.76 oz/50 g Lemongrass Syrup
On a slicer, thinly slice mangoes to create sheets (or dice mangoes). Compress mangoes in syrup on Cryovac setting for fruit. Reserve for later use.
17.6 oz/500 g Lemongrass Infusion
0.17 oz/5 g agar agar
0.07 oz/2 g xanthan gum
2.6 oz/75 g granulated sugar
0.5 oz/15 g glucose syrup
0.017 oz/.5 g salt
0.03 oz/1 g citric acid
1. In a pot, whisk the Lemongrass Infusion and agar agar together. Bring to a full boil. Transfer to a Vita Prep and shear in the xanthan gum, followed by sugar, glucose syrup and salt. Set over an ice bath to make the gel.
2. Once set, re-blend in a Vita Prep to a smooth purée, adding the citric acid at the end. Strain through a fine chinois.
Sheep Milk Yogurt Sauce:
5.3 oz/150 g water
0.35 oz/10 g Ultrasperse M
1.76 oz/50 g granulated sugar
14 oz/400 g sheep’s milk
0.07 oz/2 g citric acid
0.07 oz/2 g salt
In a Vita Prep, blend the water and Ultrasperse together on low speed. Add the sugar, sheep’s milk, citric acid and salt. Strain through a chinois.
Smoked Cashew Nougatine:
7 oz/200 g smoked cashew
7 oz/200 g granulated sugar
3.5 oz/100 g glucose syrup
0.14 oz/4 g salt
0.5 oz/15 g unsalted butter
1. In a smoker, smoke cashews for two cycles, or to taste.
2. In a pot, make a caramel with the sugar and glucose. Stir in butter and salt and smoked cashews. Pour mixture out onto a silicone baking mat. Place another mat on top and roll with a rolling pin to flatten. Once cool and the mixture has crystallized, transfer to a food processor and blend to a powder. Reserve.
Arrange components on the plate as you like.