Jimmy MacMillan's Barolo Nebbiolo. Photo by Battman
Jimmy MacMillan, Executive Pastry Chef, JMPurePastry LLC, and one of DessertProfessional.com's Top 10 Pastry Chefs in America 2013, shares his signature Barolo Nebbiolo recipe.
Read more about Chef Jimmy MacMillan's Top 10 Pastry Chef 2013 Honors.
Yield: 16 servings
Barolo Nebbiolo Gelato:
0.35 oz/10 g dried rose petals
8.8 oz/250 g whole milk, cold
2.6 oz/75 g granulated sugar
8.8 oz/250 g Barolo Nebbiolo wine
0.88 oz/25 g glucose powder
0.14 oz/4 g xanthan gum
1. Toast dried roses in sauté pan. Steep in cold milk overnight.
2. Strain and scale milk to 17.6 oz/500 g.
3. Scald milk, then add sugar, wine, glucose and xanthan. Strain. Process immediately in batch freezer.
Nebbiolo Strawberry ‘Popsicle’:
1.76 oz/50 g Nebbiolo wine
0.63 oz/18 g granulated sugar
10.5 oz/300 g strawberry puree
0.03 oz/1 g xanthan gum
1. Combine wine, sugar, purée in blender. Add xanthan gum; blend until smooth. Strain through chinois. Pipe into molds, freeze.
2. Remove from molds, transfer back to freezer. Dip each sorbet in Cocoa Butter Dip (Ghana and Mycryo 1:1). Freeze.
8.8 oz/250 g fresh strawberries
1.12 oz/32 g Nebbiolo wine
0.17 oz/5 g glucose powder
0.88 oz/25 g granulated sugar
½ vanilla bean
0.88 oz/25 g fresh organic rose petals
1. Remove tops from strawberries and make small strawberry scoops; reserve remaining fruit.
2. In blender, combine wine, glucose powder, sugar, and vanilla bean (scraped).
3. In vacuum seal bag, combine blended mixture, strawberry scoops and organic rose petals. Seal and reserve for service.
4.4 oz/125 g 35% heavy cream
4.4 oz/125 g whole milk
1.76 oz/50 g egg yolks
1.76 oz/50 g granulated sugar
0.05 oz/1.5 g gelatin sheets, bloomed
5 oz/140 g milk chocolate, chopped
1. Combine the cream and milk and scald.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and the sugar. Combine the egg yolk mixture with the dairy a little at a time. Do not reduce. Add drained gelatin. Pour custard over melted chocolate; whisk together. Load it into plastic piping bag. Chill to set.
1.5 oz/42 g unsalted butter
3.5 oz/97 g confectioners’ sugar
1.76 oz/50 g raspberry puree
0.97 oz/27.5 g cake flour
1. Cream butter and confectioners’ sugar. Mix in the raspberry puree until combined. Mix in the cake flour until combined. Chill.
2. Spread batter over template on silicone baking mat-lined sheet pan; freeze.
3. Bake in the oven at 330°F/165°C, until just slightly brown on edges. Shape.
3.9 oz/112 g cocoa powder
1 oz/27 g simple syrup (1:1 ratio)
0.02 oz/0.5 g salt
11.18 oz/317 g water
0.23 oz/6.5 g 66% chocolate, chopped
Bring the cocoa powder, simple syrup, salt and water to a boil. Remove from the heat. Add the chocolate and stir until melted. Let cool completely before pouring into Pacojet containers. Fill ¼ full only. Freeze overnight before spinning through the Paco machine.
8.8 oz/250 g strawberry puree
0.77 oz/22 g granulated sugar
1.8 oz/52.5 g Isomalt
0.6 oz/17 g glucose
0.04 oz/1.25 g salt
Combine ingredients in Thermomix at 347°F/175°C for 15-18 minutes. Dry in food dehydrator for 10-12 hours. Note: mix can be frozen for storage.
Pipe a small amount of chocolate cream in base of bowl. Place Nebbiolo Strawberry ‘Popsicle’ on top. Spoon 6-7 wine-macerated strawberries on side. Scoop or quenelle Barolo gelato, balance on ‘popsicle’. Add raspberry tuile, strawberry chip and chocolate dust.Finish with purple and red dianthus flowers.