Yield: 4 servings
2.82 oz/80 g unsalted butter, room temperature
0.0014 oz/0.04 g salt
0.7 oz/20 g confectioners’ sugar
0.88 oz/25 g powdered freeze-dried blueberries
4.23 oz/120 g almond flour
1.05 oz/30 g egg white, room temperature
1. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter, salt, confectioners’ sugar, blueberry powder and almond flour. Add the egg white and mix until blended.
2. Reserve 1.76 oz/50 g of the dough. Spread the remaining dough to 1/16" thick between two sheets of acetate and freeze until firm.
3. Remove top sheet of acetate and pipe the reserved dough with a small, plain tip in an abstract pattern over the dough. Return the dough to the freezer.
4. Once frozen, cut into 3 ¾" squares and place in the dehydrator for 48 hours at 132°F/55℃.
Vegetable oil, as needed
1.76 oz/50 g fresh blueberries
0.17 oz/5 g yogurt powder
0.07 oz/2 g dextrose
Using an oil mister, lightly spray the blueberries with oil. Sift yogurt powder and dextrose together and toss with blueberries. Reserve.
Blueberry pâte de fruit:
4.4 oz/125 g blueberry puree
4.4 oz125 g brewed Shan Lin Shi Oolong Tea (7 oz/200 g water to 1 Tbs tea)
0.42 oz/12 g glucose
12.76 oz/362 g granulated sugar, divided
0.35 oz/10 g pectin
0.26 oz/7.5 g citric acid
0.26 oz/7.5 g water
1. In a saucepan, bring the puree, tea and glucose to a boil. Meanwhile, sift together 0.88 oz/25 g of the sugar with the pectin. Add to the tea mixture once it has boiled. Return to the boil and add 5.7 oz/162 g of the remaining sugar. Return to the boil and add the remaining 2.6 oz/75 g of the sugar; allow to boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
2. Dissolve the citric acid in water and add to the tea mixture, stirring until blended. Pour the mixture into a lightly oiled cannoli mold and allow to set.
3. Unmold the pate de fruit and roll the cylinder in sugar. Slice into 1/16” rounds and reserve.
White chocolate Oolong crème:
14 oz/400 g heavy cream
0.35 oz/10 g Shan Lin Shi Oolong Tea
12 oz/340 g white chocolate
0.35 oz/10 g cocoa butter
7 oz/200 g milk
0.35 oz/10 g glucose
0.17 oz/5 g gelatin, bloomed
1. Combine the cream and tea, cover and refrigerate for 24 hours to infuse. Strain and rescale cream to make 14 oz/400 g.
2. Melt together white chocolate and cocoa butter.
3. In a saucepan, bring milk and glucose to a boil. Remove from heat and add drained gelatin. Whisk hot milk mixture into melted chocolate until smooth. Whisk in the infused tea-cream and allow to set in the refrigerator.
17.6 oz/500 g fresh blueberries
4.4 oz/125 g granulated sugar
28.21 oz/800 g water
0.07 oz/2 g Oolong tea
1. Freeze the blueberries until firm.
2. Combine frozen berries with sugar and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the tea and allow to infuse for 5 minutes. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve.
35.27 oz/1 kg water
0.17 oz/5 g sodium alginate
Mix water at low speed in blender. Gradually add sodium alginate and mix for 1 minute. Transfer to container and allow to rest overnight. When ready to use, warm mixture up.
Blueberry-Oolong consommé sphere:
17.6 oz/500 g Blueberry-Oolong Consomme
0.0007 oz/0.02 g xanthan gum
0.44 oz/12.5 g calcium gluconate
0.52 oz/15 gr granulated sugar
1. Pour consommé into a blender. Sift together the xanthan gum, gluconate and sugar. While blending the consommé on low speed, gradually add the dry ingredients and continue to blend for 2 minutes. Transfer to a container and allow to rest for 12 hours.
2. Pour mixture into demi-sphere molds and freeze until firm.
3. Unmold demi-spheres and add to the warmed Alginate Solution until a thin skins forms. Transfer to a container of warm water to rinse.
White chocolate-tea shards
Remove sable from dehydrator and let cool. Pipe small dots of White Chocolate-Oolong Crème on the sable (the objective is to have a dot of crème with every bite). Arrange an even number of blueberries and Yogurt-covered Blueberries on top. Place three slices of Blueberry Pate de Fruit at noon, four o’clock and seven o’clock. Place the Blueberry-Oolong consommé sphere just off-center. Garnish with lime zest, Calendula flowers and tempered white-chocolate tea shards.