Franck Iglesias, Top Ten Pastry Chef of 2016, presents his Garden Globe.
Yield: 4 servings
Red Pepper-Raspberry Gelee:
- 1.76 oz/50 g red pepper puree*
- 6 gelatin sheets, bloomed
- 4.2 oz/120 g granulated sugar
- 17.6 oz/500 g raspberry puree
- 1.4 oz/40 g raspberry vinegar
*Note: to make puree, cut 1 red pepper in half lengthwise and remove seed and membrane. Plunge pepper 3 times in boiling water, then rinse in ice water. Dry and remove skin. Process the pepper in food processor, strain to produce 1.76 oz/50g puree.
Warm the puree, then add the gelatin sheets, sugar and raspberry puree, stirring to dissolve the gelatin. Add the raspberry vinegar. Pour into shallow container and chill until set.
Alto el Sol Bavaroise:
- 17.6 oz/500 g milk
- 4.2 oz/120 g egg yolks
- 4.2 oz/120 g granulated sugar
- 8.4 oz/240 g glucose
- 9.17 oz/260 g Cacao Barry Alto el Sol 65% couverture
- 0.28 oz/8 g gelatin sheets, bloomed
- 17.6 oz/500 g heavy cream, whipped
1. Make a crème anglaise with the first four ingredients.
2. Strain 17.6 oz/500 g of the hot anglaise sauce on top of the Alto el Sol chocolate; mix well, then add the bloomed gelatin. Mix until gelatin is melted. Cool.
3. Fold in the whipped cream.
- 1.76 oz/50 g Guayaquil 64% couverture, melted
- 0.61 oz/17.5 g tapioca maltodextrin
- 0.017 oz/0.5 g salt
1. Mix the chocolate, salt and maltodextrin to a texture similar to that of modeling paste.
2. Make irregular pieces with the mixture in different sizes and set them on a piece of parchment. Leave the rocks to crystallize for about 3 hours, or until completely hard.
3. Rub the rocks with your hands to polish. You can also rub with cacao powder, gold or fruit powder (such as raspberry).
Microwave Pistachio Sponge:
- 2.8 oz/80 g pistachio paste
- 4.4 oz/125 g egg whites
- 2.8 oz/80 g egg yolks
- 2.8 oz/80 g granulated sugar
- 1 oz/30 g all-purpose flour
1. Mix all ingredients together and blend well. Strain into an iSi whipper. Charge with 2 N20 chargers and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours.
2. Make three 1/2” cuts in the base of each plastic cup. Shake the iSi canister very well and fill each cup 1/3 of the way with batter. Cook each cup for 40 seconds in the microwave. Cool cakes upside-down to keep steam inside. Keep in the freezer until needed.
- 8.8 oz/250 g raspberry puree
- 0.09 oz/2.5 g agar agar
- 1.3 oz/37.5 g granulated sugar
1. Bring puree, agar and sugar to a boil. Refrigerate until set.
2. Process in a Vitamix blender until creamy. Strain and pour into a squeeze bottle.
- 8 oz/225 g unsalted butter
- 5 oz/142 g Cacao Barry Tanzanie 75% chocolate
- 5 large eggs
- 12.7 oz/360 g granulated sugar
- 0.09 oz/2.5 g salt
- 0.17 oz/5 g vanilla extract
- 5.6 oz/160 g all-purpose flour, sifted
1. Melt the butter and chocolate together.
2. Meanwhile, whip eggs, sugar, salt and vanilla to ribbon stage. (By whipping the eggs and sugar for this brownie, you will make it lighter, less fudgy.)
3. Fold the butter and chocolate mixture into the egg mixture. When well incorporated, fold in the sifted flour. Spread into pan and bake at 350°F until set (timing will depend on the oven used).
- 8.4 oz/240 g all-purpose flour
- 5.1 oz/145 g pistachio flour
- 4.2 oz/120 g 10x confectioners’ sugar
- 0.17 oz/5 g salt
- 5.1 oz/145 g unsalted butter, cold, cubed
Mix dry ingredients to combine. Cut in cold butter until mixture is crumbly. Spread evenly on Silpat and bake at 325°F for 15 minutes. Cool.
- Fresh mixed berries (blackberries, raspberries and blueberries)
- Edible micro flowers (such as viola and marigold)
1. Melt Red Pepper-Raspberry Gelee and pour in the bottom of a small lidded globe. Let set slightly to be able to add fresh berries without having them sink to the bottom. Let set in the refrigerator until completely cold.
2. Pour Alto el Sol Bavaroise on top of the gelee. Let set in the refrigerator again.
3. When the Bavaroise is set, add all the “garden” components. Sprinkle some of the Pistachio Shortbread on top, then add few Chocolate Rocks. Pipe some Raspberry Gel on top, add a few pieces of the brownies. Cut some pieces of Microwave Pistachio Sponge cake, and, finally, add some edible micro flowers. Finish with some fresh berries, then close the globe lid.