Lauren V. Haas, Top Ten Pastry Chef of 2016, presents her LVH Signature Cookie.
Yield: 48 cookies
Chocolate Sable Dough:
- 5 hard-boiled egg yolks
- 1 egg yolk
- 9.8 oz/280 g unsalted butter
- 5.3 oz/150 g confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 0.35 oz/10 g vanilla extract
- 0.07 oz/2 g salt
- 1.76 oz/50 g almond flour
- 1 oz/30 g Cacao Barry Plein Arome Cocoa Powder
- 9.17 oz/260 g cake flour
1. Press the hard-boiled egg yolks through a tamis to produce a powder.
2. Cream together the powdered hard-boiled yolks, fresh egg yolk, butter and confectioners’ sugar lightly.
3. Add the vanilla, salt and almond flour and mix to combine.
4. Sift the cocoa powder and the cake flour together. Mix with the other ingredients only until a homogenous dough forms. Press the dough into rectangular packets and chill.
5. Roll dough to 2 mm thickness and cut out 1 ¼” rounds. Freeze.
6. Bake in a convection oven at 340°F for 5-6 minutes. Do not overbake.
- 8.6 oz/245 g granulated sugar, divided
- 3.5 oz/100 g cassis puree, strained
- 1.4 oz/40 g strawberry puree
- 0.7 oz/20 g water
- 3.17 oz/90 g sweetened condensed milk
- 0.25 oz/7 g pectin
- 1.76 oz/50 g Sosa glucose
- 0.21 oz/6 g Sosa citric acid mixed with 0.21 oz/6 g water
- 0.42 oz/12 g Cacao Barry cocoa butter
1. Combine 0.88 oz/25 g of the sugar with the pectin.
2. Bring the purees to a boil with the water and sweetened condensed milk. Rain in the pectin/sugar mixture while stirring. Gradually add the remaining 7.7 oz/220 g sugar and the glucose, maintaining a boil the entire time. Add the citric acid and water mixture (previously combined to form a solution). Cook to 223°F (106°C). Remove from heat and add the Cacao Barry cocoa butter. Pour into a frame and allow to cool to room temperature. Once at room temperature, place into a bowl and use a spatula to create a pliable texture. Place into a piping bag with a small round tip.
- Fat-based coloring agent
- 17.6 oz/500 g Cacao Barry Zéphyr White Chocolate
- Liquid nitrogen
1. Using a fat-based coloring agent, color the white chocolate to desired hue. Temper.
2. Dip a custom wax seal in liquid nitrogen to fully chill.
3. Pipe a dime-sized amount of chocolate onto a strip of acetate. Quickly pressed the chilled seal into the chocolate. Repeat until the desired number of chocolate seals are produced.
- Cacao Barry Alunga milk chocolate, as needed
1. Paint the back of each cookie with a thin layer of tempered Cacao Barry Alunga milk chocolate to keep the cookies crisp.
2. Using a small amount of the tempered milk chocolate, glue one end of a lollipop stick to the center of half of the cookies, and then top with a dime-sized amount of Cassis Moelleux. Place a second cookie on top of the moelleux and press gently to spread the filling to the edges. Using a small amount of tempered chocolate, glue the tempered custom chocolate seal onto the center of each cookie.