Scott Green, Top Ten Pastry Chef of 2016, presents his Strawberry Petit Gateau.
Yield: 105 servings
- 12.3 oz/350 g unsalted butter
- 12.3 oz/350 g granulated sugar
- 0.4 oz/12 g vanilla extract
- 17.6 oz/500 g all-purpose flour
- 0.3 oz/9 g salt
- 0.07 oz/2 g baking powder
- 5.3 oz/150 g whole eggs
1. Cream together butter, sugar and vanilla.
2. Sift together flour, salt and baking powder and combine.
3. While mixing on low speed, add half of the dry ingredients to butter mixture. Add eggs, then remaining dry ingredients and mix to combine. Chill.
4. Roll dough to #3 on sheeter. Line a full sheet frame on top of a sheet pan with the dough. Chill while making the filling.
- 31.7 oz/900 g unsalted butter
- 0.17 oz/5 g salt
- 0.42 oz/12 g vanilla extract
- 26.8 oz/760 g sweetened condensed milk
- 21.16 oz/600 g light corn syrup
- 9.8 oz/280 g all-purpose flour
- 0.5 oz/15 g ground black pepper
- 8.8 oz/250 g whole eggs
1. Cream together butter, salt and vanilla. Add condensed milk and mix until homogenized. Add corn syrup and mix until combined. Add flour and pepper and mix until blended. Add eggs and mix until combined. Whip with paddle attachment until light, about 4 minutes.
2. Spread filling over prepared crust and bake at 330°F for 15 minutes. Rotate and bake for another 12 minutes.
- 0.77 oz/22 g gelatin
- 7 oz/200 g granulated sugar
- 0.88 oz/25 g NH pectin
- 31.3 oz/887 g strawberry puree
- 1.5 oz/44 g lemon juice
1. Bloom gelatin.
2. Combine sugar and pectin.
3. Heat puree and rain in sugar mixture. Cook while whisking and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add gelatin and lemon juice. Whisk to combine.
4. Cast into full sheet Flexipan and chill until set.
- 0.5 oz/14 g gelatin sheets
- 8.5 oz/240 g heavy cream
- 2.1 oz/60 g crème fraiche
- 25.4 oz/720 g cream cheese, room temperature
- 2.2 oz/62 g egg yolks
- 6.3 oz/180 g granulated sugar
- 10.5 oz/300 g whole milk
- 0.8 oz/24 g lemon juice
1. Bloom gelatin.
2. Whip heavy cream and crème fraiche to soft peaks and set aside in refrigerator.
3. Beat cream cheese until smooth.
4. Whisk together egg yolks and sugar.
5. Bring milk to a boil and temper in the yolk mixture. Return to the stove and cook to 180°F (82°C). Add gelatin and whisk well. Add anglaise to softened cream cheese and mix until combined. Add lemon juice and let cool to 86-95°F (30-35°C). Fold in whipped cream. Pour over set Strawberry Gelee and freeze until set.
- Strawberry jam
- Chopped pistachios
- Strawberry brunoise
- Coriander blossoms
1. Spread filling over chilled crust and bake at 350°F until set. Cool.
2. Remove cake frame and cover baked filling with a thin layer of strawberry jam. Cut cake into 1” x 3” slices.
3. Unmold frozen mousse and cut into 2 1/2” x ¾” pieces. Place frozen mousse piece on top of cake slice. Garnish sides with chopped pistachios. Garnish top with strawberry brunoise and coriander blossom.