Executive Pastry Chef Jimmy MacMillan’s dessert featuring tonka bean and lychee rose gelato.
Yield: 28 servings
Strawberry Crème Brûlée with Tonka Bean:
- 32.12 liq oz/950 ml heavy cream 35%
- 0.14 oz/4 g tonka bean, shaved
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
- 8.4 oz/240 g pasteurized egg yolks
- 4.2 oz/120 g granulated sugar
- 2.3 oz/65 g raw sugar
- 0.5 oz/15 g vanilla extract
- 14 oz/400 g strawberry puree
1. Boil cream with shaved tonka and vanilla bean.
2. Whisk together yolks and sugar. Temper cream into yolks. Strain and add vanilla extract and strawberry puree. Cool with wand and store in refrigerator.
3. Pour into mold or vessel. Bake at 200°F (no water bath required).
Lychee Rose Gelato:
- 33.8 liq oz/1 lt whole milk
- 6.3 oz/180 g granulated sugar
- 6.3 oz/180 g premium gelato base powder
- 21.16 oz/600 g lychee puree
- 0.07 oz/2 g rose water
Warm milk. Combine powdered ingredients. Add powdered ingredients to milk and bring to 185°F (85°C). Cool quickly; add lychee puree and rose water. Process in gelato batch freezer.
Strawberries with Mint:
- 17.6 oz/500 g strawberries
- 0.42 oz/12 g fresh mint
- 1.3 oz/38 g simple syrup (2:1)
1. Cut strawberries in rounds approximately ¼” thick.
2. Blend mint and simple syrup. Pour over strawberries to macerate. Reserve for plating.
Cacao Nibs in Sugar:
- 3.5 oz/100 g Mast Bros Cacao Nibs
- 10.5 oz/300 g water
- 3.5 oz/100 g glucose syrup
- 1.76 oz/50 g unsalted butter
- 0.1 oz/3 g grey salt
1. Combine all ingredients and place into a pressure cooker. Cook for 1 ½ hours.
2. Drain well and lay out onto a half sheet try and air-dry for 3 hours.
- 9 oz/255 g lychee puree
- 8.5 oz/240 g egg whites
- 0.5 oz/15 g egg white powder
- 3 oz/85 g granulated sugar
- 0.1 oz/3 g maltodextrin
- 0.07 oz/2 g xanthan gum
1. Combine all ingredients except maltodextrin and xanthan gum in stand mixer with whip attachment. Whip for 5-8 minutes. Combine maltodextrin and xanthan gum in small bowl and add to lychee mixture. Whip to full volume.
2. Pipe 3” x ¼” sticks onto prepared acetate sheets. Dehydrate at 165°F for 12-15 hours. Reserve.
- Lychee pieces
- Citrus lace
Caramelize the top of a Strawberry Crème Brûlée using crystal sugar and a propane torch. Add six pieces of strawberries with mint around base and top of crème brûlée. Sprinkle some cacao nibs and arrange five meringue sticks around plate. Add two fresh lychee pieces and two pieces of citrus lace. Serve with a single scoop of lychee gelato.