Crumble and cake by Donald Wressell, Executive Pastry Chef of Guittard.
This chocolate pound cake is rich and incredibly moist, with just the flavor of chocolate as your final takeaway. The secret: Grating a Guittard Nocturne Extra Dark Chocolate Bar (91% cacao) into the cake batter. Our 91 percent chocolate is 52 percent cacao butter, which gives this cake its moist texture. The cake just melts on your tongue. And cacao butter is actually better for you than dairy butter or oil, so while you’re enjoying this chocolate cake, you’ll have a little twinkle in your eye knowing that the fat in this cake has some health benefits.
One tip before you start: Make sure every ingredient is at room temperature. Too-cold butter will not result in the smooth batter you want.
Yield: makes four 5 ½” x 3” loaves or two 9” x 5” loaves
- 3.8 oz/110 g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 5.3 oz/150 g Demerara sugar
- 3.17 oz/90 g cake flour
- 3.8 oz/110 g hazelnuts, toasted
- 0.7 oz/20 g Guittard Cocoa Rouge (Dutch-processed unsweetened cocoa powder)
- 1⁄4 tsp baking soda
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1⁄2 tsp ground cinnamon, preferably Saigon cinnamon
Using a food processor, pulse the butter, Demerara sugar, cake flour, hazelnuts, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon until all the ingredients come together to form a paste, 1 to 2 minutes. Set a strainer or sieve over a large bowl and pour the crumb mixture into the strainer. Lightly press the paste into the strainer to remove any moisture. Transfer the crumble to an airtight container and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or up to overnight.
- 5.3 oz/150 g all-purpose flour
- 1.2 oz/35 g Guittard Cocoa Rouge (Dutch-processed unsweetened cocoa powder)
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1⁄2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp powdered instant coffee
- 3.5 oz/100 g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 10.5 oz/300 g granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 Tbs water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4.5 liq oz/135 ml full-fat buttermilk
- 2 oz/55 g Guittard Nocturne Extra Dark Chocolate Bar (91% cacao)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line four 5 ½” x 3” or two 9” x 5” loaf pans with parchment paper along the bottom and up the long sides so extra parchment paper hangs over the sides by about 2”. In a large bowl, sift together the all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, and powdered instant coffee. Set aside.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer (or in a large bowl using a hand mixer), beat together the butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in the eggs, water, and vanilla until smooth. Add the flour mixture and the buttermilk in alternating additions and beat until smooth, about 2 minutes.
3. Using a box grater, grate the chocolate bar. Fold into the batter. Remove the crumble from the refrigerator and sprinkle it over the top of the loaves.
4. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the cakes cool in the loaf pans for 20 minutes. Using the parchment paper, carefully lift the loaves out of the pan and let cool completely on a wire rack. Store, wrapped tightly in plastic wrap, at room temperature for up to 5 days.