Beautifully layered trifle with chocolate cake, chocolate pudding, marscapone cream, toffee, and candied almonds.
Yield: 12 servings
4.8 oz/138 g cocoa powder
12.8 oz/363 g all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1 ½ tsp salt
21 oz/600 g granulated sugar
12 liq oz/360 ml buttermilk
6 liq oz/180 ml oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 eggs, lightly beaten
12 liq oz/360 ml brewed coffee, room temperature
1. Sift all dry ingredients into the bowl of an electric mixer.
2. Add wet ingredients one at a time, scraping down halfway through. Beat batter on medium until smooth.
3. Bake at 300°F in full-size sheetpan, 15-20 minutes.
40 liq oz/1 lt, 200 ml milk, divided
8 liq oz/240 ml heavy cream
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
10.5 oz/300 g granulated sugar
6 Tbs cornstarch
2.17 oz/61 g cocoa powder
¾ tsp salt
8 egg yolks
10 oz bittersweet chocolate, 61%
2 oz/57 g unsalted butter
1. Heat 32 liq oz/960 ml of the milk with the heavy cream and vanilla bean.
2. Whisk together sugar, cornstarch, cocoa powder, salt, and remaining 8 liq oz/240 ml milk, followed by egg yolks.
3. Temper cream into chocolate mixture and return to heat. Over medium low heat, continuously stir mixture until thick like mayonnaise; whisk occasionally if it starts to look lumpy. Whisk in chocolate and butter. Strain through chinos, let cool in hotel pan with plastic placed directly on surface of pudding.
17.4 oz/494 g mascarpone
3.5 oz/100 g granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
24 liq oz/720 g heavy cream, divided
Put mascarpone, sugar, vanilla, and 4 liq oz/120 ml cream in bowl of electric mixer until smooth. Slowly drizzle in remaining cream, while whipping on medium speed. Scrape down half way though, making sure to get the bottom of the bowl. Whip to medium peaks.
1 lb/454 g unsalted butter
1 lb/454 g granulated sugar
8 oz/227 g brown sugar
8 liq oz/240 ml water
1 Tbs vanilla extract
1 Tbs salt
1. Boil first 4 ingredients in pot over medium heat. Stirring occasionally, cook until golden color and it smells like toffee. Add vanilla and salt, then carefully stir and pour onto silicone baking mat. Cool.
2. When cool, place in freezer. Once frozen, break into pieces and process in food processor until it forms bite size pieces. Sift and reserve dust.
4 large egg whites
2.3 oz/66 g granulated sugar
7.5 oz/212 g sliced almonds
Pinch of salt
Whisk whites with sugar and salt. Toss in almonds and mix until completely coated. Spray full size silicone baking mat with non-stick cooking spray and lay almonds out flat on the mat. Bake at 325°F, stirring every 5 minutes until brown and toasty.
Simple syrup flavored with espresso extract
1. Cut cake into rounds for whichever size glass you’ll be using.
2. Place cake round in the bottom of the glass, sprinkle a few drops of the syrup on top. Put once scoop of chocolate pudding on top the cake, followed buy one scoop of mascarpone cream. Make sure to spread each layer to the edge of the glass. Sprinkle a generous amount of the sifted toffee dust on top of the mascarpone, then place a few candied almonds on top.
3. Repeat layers with another chocolate cake round, sprinkled with simple syrup, then pudding, and mascarpone cream. Smooth out cream, and wrap until ready to use. Top trifle with a drizzle of melted chocolate, candied almonds, and the bite size pieces of toffee.